Monday, March 7, 2022

When You Love a Wild Thing

 


When you love a wild thing,
you're rekindling your kinship
with the wild.

Every cell in your body remembers
when you once lived free upon the land,
when you followed the Old Ways
we once used to understand.

Part of you remembers
when you hunted the deer,
and part remembers when you were
the deer being hunted.
Both sides know fear.

The part of you that
catches your breath
while your heart quickens,
when that old grey whale
turns her ancient eye on you,
is the part that recognizes,
but can't put words to,
the message in her mournful song
about this planetary home
where we all try to belong.

I gave my heart to a wolf-pup,
his eyes intelligent and true.
He loved me more
than anyone I ever knew.

He remained wild,
but left both wilderness and sea.
In order to be with me
he relinquished
being free.

And when it came
his time to leave,
he tried so hard to stay.
Since he's been gone,
it's like the wilderness itself
has gone away.

Now when I walk,
yes, I'm looking at the sky.
I'm listening
at each midnight moon
for his lonely cry.

I walk the length
of his favorite river
with tears that we're apart.
But I'm glad
I loved a wild thing
because he fortified
my heart.


for Brendan at earthweal: Animal Poetry. I am not sure if this meets the challenge, but Pup's heart and mine were so attuned. I have never been closer to another living being.

15 comments:

  1. What a privilege and honour to have gained the love and trust of a wild thing! A moving poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Pup. -- How can a heart not become more wild, bonding so with the animal sublime? Even memory stays wild. That kinship strains with age and this stupid human world, but the bond is permanent and lives here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful, Sherry. It is a poem that I feel. Pup really captured your heart in a big way and has never let go. May you meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my old forest/temple dogs. They were true friends. peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Since he's been gone,
    it's like the wilderness itself
    has gone away..." so many lines here brought tears, Sherry, remembering my Chinook, and your Pup, who loved without bounds, who gave us so much just for the joy of giving it. A beautiful and insightful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you and pup were kindred souls. He a part of you and you a part of him. A heartfelt write and ode to a wondrous four legged friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But I'm glad
    I loved a wild thing
    because he fortified
    my heart

    Love that assertion Sherry that a wild element can be present in making us realise wild can still be friends.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah- what beautiful joy and sadness bound together in one poem. what an honouring of wild relationship. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this poem so very much in all its parts! I am visiting my Mom and I read it to her and she was thrilled! Oh My! What a gift. I'm so glad your wild thing "fortified your heart" and now mine, and my Mom's (age 97) Indeed, a living poem!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, friends. Susan, I am glad it brought a smile to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such intense shared emotion--a rare and special thing. Thanks for sharing it with us Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps it's their unconditional giving that moves us so much, because it's so difficult for us to ever achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that dog like it was yesterday! They guarded me in Lori's cellar. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful and special poem, Sherry. That closeness; loving a wild thing is truly a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.