Saturday, March 12, 2022

We Fall In Love With Hope (The whole while, we are grieving)

 


The world moves without us, so I tend
to my potted tulips, plant kale seeds, feel excited
when the sprouts pop up.
My heart aches, so I walk on the beach, smile at 
the ecstatic, grinning dogs, whose world is only joy
in this moment, because they are fortunate enough
to not understand the news. They understand
my sadness, though, so they move close to me,
sitting on my log; they rest their heavy heads
on my knee, breathe comfort at me,
say with their silent gaze I am here.

The world moves without us, but we are moving, too,
through yet another war, more human madness,
more destruction. We don't know where we are headed,
and yet we do, for we have seen all this before.

There is a tenderness to growing older.
We fall in love with morning skies, and babies,
dogs and young lovers. We fall in love with hope.
The whole while, we are grieving. We are wise, now,
and we know. We know what tomorrow will bring.

We fall in love with hope.
But the whole while, we are grieving.


Inspired by Tomorrow Is a Place by Sanna Wani. Italicized lines are hers.

2 comments:

  1. There is such wisdom in being able to enjoy nature and new life, the little things that are really everything, in the midst of war and heartbreak. That is a life skill that must be passed on—one of the most important, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to keep hope alive. Without hope there is no future. Wise words here, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.