Friday, March 11, 2022

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TALK ABOUT WAR II

 


Szubi Senior
rescuing handicapped dogs in Kyiv

I don't know how to talk about war: the 11 year old boy who walked 700 miles alone, the sobbing children and elders, the women being bombed while giving birth. (Is there anyone more helpless than that?)

I only know two things: no one "wins" a war like this and, the only thing for certain is it will get worse.

What I hold onto are the heroes: Daveede, who started Care Bridge, who believes in radical empathy and taking active anti-war action, who is renting large b and b's and filling them with people

or Szubi Senior, rescuing handicapped dogs from the abandoned shelter in Kyiv

or medical staff trying to save lives in bombed out buildings and basements for, even in the midst of war, everyone still hopes to live.

I don't know how to talk about war, or how to hold this much suffering in my heart. Thoughts and prayers are not enough when a madman holds the world hostage and a small but mighty people fight desperately to save their homeland from the darkness of an evil empire.

Today the skies are grey and that feels fitting.
Today the world waits for what comes next.


The title and italicized lines are from Laurie Wagner's "I Don't Know How to Talk About War at Wild Writing.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, today the world waits for what comes next. So many stories of heroes in this war. So much tragedy as well. Daveede's story is inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.