Thursday, March 10, 2022

In the Morning, I Pretend

 


South Chestermans
Elisabeth Smith photo

In the morning, I pretend that it is
any ordinary spring morning: four tulip buds
coming up in the plant pot on the yellow-checkered
tabletop outside; blue sky with wispy clouds,
and the long stretch of beach
at South Chestermans
empty of people,
and all mine.

In the morning, I pretend that this
beauty I am in steeped in is
like so many other mornings
I remember:
the rounded hills surrounding my village
so sweet to the eye;
two eagles drifting on the thermals,
wind-surfing the sky.
I pretend that war
is not waging, that we
are all not holding our breath
for fear of
what comes next.

I pretend that
on the other side of the world
families carrying
their babies and dogs
are not being gunned down
in the streets as they
run for their lives,
that people are not
being buried in mass graves
because all the mortuaries
are full.

For this morning, I pretend
all that is going on
is this walk on the beach.
The white dog with black markings
who follows me
because I have treats is shy at first
but, after a treat or two, climbs up
on the log where I am sitting 
and rests his big soft head
on my shoulder,
his face beside my face,
a moment of love and trust
so precious it fills my sad heart
with comfort. With him, I move
gratefully into dog consciousness
and pretend that
this moment of Now
is all there is.
I try to believe
that love is greater than fear;
that light always wins out over darkness;
that this terrible war
is only a nightmare
from which we will
soon awaken.


I am so annoyed. I posted my first version of this poem, which was better, and then blogger, when I deleted an unfinished version, deleted my posted poem instead. Sigh. I remembered what I could from the first poem, but am not happy about the substitution. It was inspired by the words "In the morning, I pretend", from Laurie Wagner at Wild Writing.

sharing with earthweal's open link.

7 comments:

  1. a moment of love and trust
    so precious it fills my sad heart
    with comfort... that's so beautiful..it is the only way to deal with the state of the world..one precious moment to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great! You're such a prolific writer. I'd like to have read the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For this morning, I pretend...it's getting harder to pretend things are okay or will be okay. I do think we need to live in "now" enjoy the precious moments of love and trust that one can. Life is changing and we know not what will happen tomorrow. A beautiful poem straight from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really have to believe that love wins over fear. Sometimes hard, but if we don't believe that we have little. I am glad you were able to have a happy moment with the dog on the beach. We have to savor those moments of simple joys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We must make room for a little joy. Your poem is beautiful.Your new dog friend is lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'pretend that
    this moment of Now
    is all there is;
    that love is greater than fear;
    that light always wins out over darkness;'

    - this is not pretence, Sherry - don't give up hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the beauty and stillness is real but it takes a wild heart to hold it along with raw realities in Ukraine. A wild mine to allow both their reality. Sorry about the Blogger boondoggle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.