Monday, March 7, 2022

Shoes

 

Photo by Jonah Reenders


If I were to walk a mile
in your shoes,
would I survive?
Or would I fall
by the side of the road,
in a heap of
fear and sorrow
and let the bombs find me?

If I were to walk a mile
in your shoes,
could I ever muster the courage
you show, unarmed,
pushing back Russian tanks
with your bare hands?

The bombs rain down.
You have no choice
but to be heroes.
In my heart,
I am walking with you,
helping you bear your pain.
In my heart,
I am carrying your bundles
in disbelief
that this is happening
again.



10 comments:

  1. It is heart wrenching indeed! Poignant questions and poetry here Sherry. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart in this poem. I

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walk .. with you, with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree. How could another greedy, evil man come to power and repeat the atrocities. It's anathema!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "pushing back Russian tanks
    with your bare hands?"

    An awesome surreal image that a hopeful mind needs in this time

    Thanks for dropping by my blog Sherry

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saw the video of this - a group of protesters blocking tanks and Russian vehicles with their bodies, pushing the fronts of the vehicles with their hands. Unbelievably courage.

      Delete
  5. Sherry, this is heartbreaking. It's an overwhelming situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I do think we would have trouble walking in these heroes' shoes. Unbelievable what they are called on to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does make you wonder what you would do, how you would react.
    My heart goes out to those resilient
    people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a heartening poem of solidarity, Sherry. Very powerful support for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You truly walk with them in spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.