Saturday, March 26, 2022

In Search of Sunflowers

 

Artistic Image by Morysetta

Some days are harder than others.
The heart grows tired of carrying its weight.
It needs a gentler song.

These are the last three things that happened:
I watered the kale sprouts on the windowsill
and turned them towards the light.
The spring rain tapped on the skylight;
I watched the droplets sliding down.
You didn't call.

I love stories about overcoming:
light over darkness, transcendence
over circumstance.
But now,
all I want is a story about kindness:
helpers rising up to care for refugees,
brave folk going into danger to rescue
abandoned animals, sunflowers
sprouting up everywhere online,
the symbol of bravery and never
giving up.

My heart is faltering.
It needs a cup of tea
and six or seven sweet words.
I need to put some hope
into a poem,
find a sunflower to put
on my desk by the window,
turn its face towards the sun.

I can't help it. I'll never get over making
everything such a big deal.


Wild Writing inspired by "A Good Story" and "The Last Thing" by Ada Limon. The italicized words are hers. For Carrie at The Sunday Muse.

25 comments:

  1. Some things are a big deal Sherry, and kindness id becoming a rare commodity! Hope you find some… 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I need a cup of tea
    and six or seven sweet words.
    I need to put some hope
    into a poem,
    find a sunflower to put
    on my desk by the window,
    turn its face towards the sun.”

    That would be a KILLER micro poem. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it really wants to be a song chorus.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Sing, girl. Sing. <3 Do you play instruments?

      Delete
    2. No, though I wish I did. I did sing though, all my life.

      Delete
  4. Putting hope into a poem is something you do beautifully my friend! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful poem Sherry! Filled with so much hope! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great poem.
    I want a story about kindness too!
    Purrs, Julie and the 'mum'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes our needs reduce to the simplest, most human things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely gentle poem. Little plants on the window sill and sunflowers on the desk, cups of tea,transmitting hope and comfort to our suffering brothers through prayer or other is the way to go

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lovely sunflower! And yes, you must put one near you and believe that the most corageous fighters ever seen are never going to give up on holding the Russians back. Unbelieveable people, the Ukrainians. A Russian ex-parliamentary member has offered 1,000,000 euros for Putin, dead or alive. He is a hero go us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all need kind words and a poem like this dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "My heart is faltering.
    It needs a cup of tea
    and six or seven sweet words." - Great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some things (kindness, hope) need reinforcement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the softness of simple things, a blackbird singing, a bee buzzing and a star in the evening sky that kept my gram grounded during the oppression of WW2. Simple things feed the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need a cup of tea as well and stories of kindness. This is beautiful and I agree you have a hook that could be a chorus to sing...I hear it, my friend.

    sing on....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet words and kindness - ingredients we all need. Such a gentle and poignant write, Sherry. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are the person we need to emulate ......

    ReplyDelete
  17. A despot invading and ramsacking another man's country is a big deal.
    Yes indeed may kindness rain down on the oppressed

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today.

    Much🌻love

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the poem you built around Limon's words. Empath's have no other path.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope your heart carries its load for a long time! Stories about people wanting to help Ukrainian refugees, coming right up. Ex-Pres. Obama shared a whole web site on Twitter...not sure how it may work in Canada but it's on my Twitter page, and BO's, from Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heavy hearted words not used literally but referred to. Nice, Sherry, yes this world does need more kindness. Bless those with it.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  21. "light over darkness, transcendence
    over circumstance." - great line.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.