Saturday, February 22, 2020

Wild Thing

                           

                                Photography by Sarolta Ban
                                View website HERE


Out of the whole wide misty world
you found me,
cocked your ears,
put your paw forward,
did a little play bow,
enchanted me.



I took you home.
You grew and grew.
You were a wild thing.

Now I am old
and you are gone.
I sit on a log in the sun
and remember when
we lolloped together along the beach,
you with your goofy grin,
my wild heart exulting,
when you and I 
and the whole wide beautiful world 
were young,
and your wild song
had only just begun.


                                  



for Carrie at The Sunday Muse

The top photo reminds me of a photo of my grandma when she was about 50. She was sitting on the ground on a misty stretch of prairie, looking into the distance. The wolf, of course, reminds me of Pup, who often put his paw forward, like this, uttering a soft "whuff" to get my attention or make a request. Sigh.

21 comments:

  1. Shery, you know I like this a lot. I had forgotten that you got Pup as a true puppy, if I was to be asked I would say as young frisky sized pup. Though I knew your story and thought of you now and then, my wolf was not yours, it was one of several that I had to decide this morning. Promise. Haha Your episode was cute, mine supposedly held apprehension. Thank you for telling, he loved you and even molded you some, I know. (so did my Adi Beagle Dog to me.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tugs at my heart strings Sherry! What a beautiful relationship you had with Pup and what beautiful poetry has been inspired by that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words for a marvellous relationship. It makes me glad to be back. Oh, and I got your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild thing .... you made my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stories about your "wolf".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet memories of a special friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How precious it is to have the heart warmed by memories of wilder, freer times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! I like how you brought the wolf in as the spirit of the pup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is lovely and heartbreaking at the same time. And what a beautiful pup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wild will never leave your heart and neither will Pup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, this line made me cry, Sherry: "... Now I am old/and you are gone." I miss my Chinook so much, as I know you miss your Pup. You have written something from the heart which shows how some things will never truly leave us alone, tho, even when they're gone. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, Joy. I still have pangs and tears every time I think of him - nine years later. He will never leave me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This brought tears to my eyes, Sherry. They are all just too much to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those beginnings, where lolloping and goofiness reside, are the memory feasts of our older years. You will never be alone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherry, a "true," poem for sure!! I love Pup through your words, and I also miss him. They come to teach us to love. To enrich our lives. So sweet!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are great companions and they linger on in memory. The closer they are the longer the retention of their images of fun and laughter! Yes Sherry, having pets can be most fulfilling.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  17. To be found by one who already knows us is a beautiful thing. I can feel the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, this is so touching, Sherry. The only bad thing about dogs is they just don't live long enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.