Friday, February 21, 2020

How to Walk in the Woods (and the World)



How I walk in the woods (and the world) :

I announce my presence without speech,
beaming love to all (tree) beings:
"I come in peace, with respect."
I hope they hear.

I walk gently, quietly,
exchanging smiles and breaths.
"Good morning," I say to all passing
trees, people, dogs - (especially dogs).
"Beautiful morning!" I exult, and
"You're the most beautiful dog!
Have a treat!" The dogs all smile.
Sometimes the people, too.
(Maybe I need to carry chocolates
in the other pocket?)

I look for the small beauties,
and they are everywhere -
babies' smiles and sweet little growls, old man's beard
on cedar, the first unfurling white spring blossoms,
green things, poking their heads up
after the long winter.

I turn down unexplored pathways,
eyes open to the magic.
I listen for the messages
the forest has to give.

I take my inspiration from the sky.
"Look up!" I tell
the merry passers-by.
"There's a Sky-Show going on,
this very second,
just for you and I."




I am back from a cool poetry workshop given to we seniors by our Poet Laureate Joanna Streetly. The exercise was to think of something we love to do, and to jot down vocabulary and ideas about it. Then to write a poem using those things to illustrate how we apply them to our way of being in the world.  I chose walking in the forest, as it is easy to transfer the wonder to walking through life with eyes "open to the magic."

for Brendan at earthweal



11 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful workshop. I've never tried anything like that.

    And I enjoyed going on your woodland walk with you. Alas, my forest treks have pretty-much slowed to more of crawl, these days ~ lol ~ dang arthritis … though, at least I have my memories, and photographs and poetry to carry me back to those lovely rambles-in-the-green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take my inspiration from the sky.
    "Look up!"

    This is me, all the time...

    So lovely to read your heartfelt words, Sherry. I hope you are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you know what, Sherry? When I'm out walking and I meet people with this kind of joy radiating from them, I am enriched immeasurably, as I am by this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray when I walk; it's like reciting poetry, welcoming the world, sighting a line without also within. I think the you you walk is such a gift to others and yourself. - brendan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lifelong friend, no longer with us, walked as meditation too, beaming silent love at every rock and tree and dog. He said after a few minutes he could feel everything loving him back.

      Delete
  5. As always, Sherry, your words show us the small wonders that make life important, something to be guarded, yet also something to be enjoyed. The woods heal, and Nature reveals so much we need to understand and respect. You and John Muir are surely soul-brethren. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are pockets of beauty everywhere and dogs really do smile! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and meant to say I'd love to meet you on one of your walks and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I love you take walks among the trees and converse with them. We have so much to teach us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only joyous but respectful – a good way of walking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. Your poem reflects the love and beauty you see. Thank you for the wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.