Saturday, February 8, 2020

Love In a Cold Climate

I am dreaming of bears
under a full moon
in a land all white with winter.

I travelled there once
with my black wolf
for an arctic season.
We walked the river,
every afternoon.
Its wildness was the reason.
He sniffed the all-intriguing air,
gave a howl and  toothy grin.
When we went home for tea,
it was too soon.
I had to beg him to come in.

Next I visited the planet 
of human love
for a brief while.
Bumbling hero
in his own bad movie,
with witty words
he did beguile.
He quoted fragments of poems
under the moon.
(A clue:
he knew his lines too well!)
Mercifully,
although I fell,
the movie ended soon.

My wolf healed my foolish, 
and too-trusting heart,
looking at me with eyes that said,
"I could have told you,
had you asked,
right at the start."

I don't miss love in the cold and
calculated climate of earthly men.
I do miss the devoted heart
of my black wolf.
He taught me to run wild
along the shore.
He taught me how 
real love feels,
and so much
- so much! -
more.


for Carrie's Sunday Muse.



12 comments:

  1. Oh this is a stunning journey of the different loves we come to know. I truly believe a beautiful black wolf can teach true freedom and true love. This is sweet, wise, and lovely Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I e enjoyed the read, Rosemary. The first part had it lasted, would have lead your poet to misery forever. Thank goodness for the loyalty of the Black Wolf to her she made the most of her season in the wild. May we all have a Black Wolf to straighten us when we are headed for misery.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that matters is healing & the power to heal & to be free. This is the only beauty of life, as I see it. Beautiful,as always Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This took me on a journey to the different levels of love. I feel the strongest love is in kindred souls whether they be human or wolf. Your wolf remains always loyal even as he wanders a different plain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry! This just knocked me right out. The images and the dream-sprung lines were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how much we can understand if we cannot feel love. There is too much granite in the heart of some men.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is the rhyme you use that gentles this poem, that softens the condemnation of mankind as it raises the love of wolf. My favorite: " He sniffed the all-intriguing air,
    gave a howl and toothy grin.
    When we went home for tea,
    it was too soon.
    I had to beg him to come in."

    Come in! May we all recognize our gifts, and gift each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the acceptance and gratitude in this, wonderfully rendered, very wise piece. As well, you imbued a story-esque life-well-lived vibe in the lines … which I found to be, truly, enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how you speak of love! The hearts of humans are too hard sometimes to beat with love. When one loves wild things, one learns to love with a different rhythm. You have captred that in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many types of love, but which are the truest?
    Lovely writing, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.