Monday, January 6, 2020

Train 2020, Coming Down the Track


albernisteamtrain.com


I hear the train coming down the track, whistle blowing: Train 2020. Train 2019 has been sidelined to the trainyard; it will not run again. I feel: sadness for the year gone, and for what is happening now all across the planet; fear, of the unknown track ahead and what it might bring; gratitude for the many blessings that crossed my path last year; sorrow for animals burned alive; anxiety for the climte crisis. Because I am a human, I require hope. I need to believe we can rise to meet the challenge of saving at least some of this planet that I love. Because I know all that I know, I fear we are too late.

I step onto the train, no choice. Train 2020 is the train I am destined to catch. Where it will take me, take us, is a question mark. But there is joy in the journey, because we are alive, now, and because earth is beautiful, and we have those we love in our lives. We have so much worth saving and fighting for.

January moon
obscured by clouds, still I know
you will shine again.


for Bjorn at dverse: Beginning (Again), a haibun

19 comments:

  1. I had a glimse of a hazy moon. Oh how sad the burning in Australia. A prayer for God's merciful rain there

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today Sherry

    Much🎆love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Joy in the journey, and yes we have hope! Thank you. Thankfulness for the blessings we do have will provide us with hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope the moon, and goodwill, will shine again in 2020. The first week has been rather bleak though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are on Train 2020, hurtling towards an unknown destination, and feeling anxious for Mother Earth. Everything I see on the news these days brings tears to my eyes, so I try not to watch it, but it’s compelling when every day brings new horror and I’m waiting for a sign of hope. It would be wonderful to have peaceful, kind, restorative news for a change. And you’re right, Sherry, we are alive, Earth is beautiful, and we have so much worth saving and fighting for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Train 2019 has been sidelined to the trainyard; it will not run again.

    The creative take on year-changing is admirable. Really good salute to 2019 and a hopeful song for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this hopeful post. We humans need hope. We have to have hope and catch the train.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An eloquent portrayal of the feelings of many of us, and a reminder to savor the good things that come our way in these troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know we can manage... if we just try and prioritize right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The haiku is such a beautiful conclusion to what came before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See you on the train, Sherry. When we look out the windows, may we see light shine on the positives as well as the negatives. The moon will shine, catching the reflections of the sun. And we will shine, doing the work we are meant to do. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to the new chapter, a beginning filled with hope and love. Happy new year Sherry. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that the new year will get better...such a touching verse to end with..delicate but powerful

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful Sherry! Hope is what sustains us. Wishing you a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just an excellent way to describe a past year and the new one....and the fact that it's the only train we have so on it we go. And may 2020 bring the visual acuity it brings to mind when we say that year outloud....may the many wake up and create the changes needed to save this dear earth and our country too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the use of the train ushering in the new year. One never knows where the track may lead, let's hope on a journey of awakening.

    The ride has been a bit bumpy so far but, I cling to hope that we won't derail.

    Peace my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful work, Sherry. I'm looking at this year with a mixture of fear and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is poem filled with hope. Circumstances now are difficult to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, we never know where the new year will take us. I am not hopeful about 2020, but I do hope I am mistaken!! Have the best year possible, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.