Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Lone Wolf



Takaya,
I heard your lonely howls all winter.
Then you swam across the water
into Town,
finding yourself confused
along the city streets.

They stalked you.
Of course, they stalked you.
But because we loved you,
they dared not take your life.

Instead, they drugged you,
took you away
to an unknown forest
outside your territory.

They do not understand wolves,
and do not care to learn.

When I heard the news,
I knew this was your death knell.
You are now old, and are at risk,
in new territory,
of attack by the local pack,
who will view you as a threat.

One more death on their hands,
those human hands that carry
so much guilt that
no amount of washing
will ever get them clean.

Takaya, with tears I know
we will hear your howls
no more.


For seven years Takaya lived alone on a small island across from Victoria. People could hear him howling all this winter. It is mating time. They think that is what brought him into Victoria, where he was trailed until he could be tranquilized. They dared not kill him, as he is known and loved in the city. But he faces almost certain death being taken to new territory. How can wildlife workers not understand the most basic information about the animals they are supposed to be protecting?

One more struggling animal for Earthweal  Sigh.


8 comments:

  1. This is almost worse than killing him directly. But the few wolves that dare to come close to humans are always treated the same (unless it's farmers who has to accept the wolves)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sad Sherry. I hope he survives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really a devastating situation. I cry with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised no more. Our human race is capable of doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad Takaya wasn't killed outright -- the human community is so fiercely aware of its boundaries -- but what else could be done than return him to the island? Fly him far away? I suppose authorities could have consulted conservationists, but that probably wasn't in the budget ... A beloved wolf named Spitfire wandered out of Yellowstone Park where he was protected and got shot and killed by a trophy hunter: The tragic thing is how animal nature and human nature are separated by such a cold and lonely wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sad story. My heart is with Takaya.
    I suppose the intentions of those who captured him were good. But, ignorance is not bliss. It causes pain, even death.

    I'm happy that you pay tribute to Takaya in this lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we confiscate more and more habitat the wild has no recourse but to enter the city. I'm sure they hate it more than we do. I've been wanting to visit Isle Royale just to hear the howl.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.