Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Quarantine Poem # 117

 


The Tonga Volcano eruption

When we began writing pandemic poems,
we thought it would last one year.
117 poems later, the hospitals are still full,
people are dying, health care workers
are burnt out and falling ill themselves,
and I don't remember a time when 
I didn't wear a mask. Mine has become
my second skin.

I'm okay, though.
Thanks for asking.

I am quite happy being a hermit,
staying in, safe and warm,
in my cozy rooms.
I write in the morning,
have coffee with the Property Brothers
at ten, choose which movie I will watch
in the afternoon.

As floods destroy towns
and a volcanic eruption with an impact
they say was larger than a nuclear bomb
lays waste small South Pacific islands,
a normal day, indoors,
with heat and food,
is not something
to be taken lightly.

I'm okay, though.
Thanks for asking.

No one knows, any longer, 
what tomorrow will bring.
I no longer take for granted
today's imperfect offering.

Inspired by Quarantine Poem # 17 by Norman Minnick. The italicized lines are his.

3 comments:

  1. There really are good reasons to be a hermit. It sounds like you have your routine well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One idea: Those lines: I'm Okay though, thanks for asking......I would repeat them in two more places. One somewhere else in the body. And one at the very end for emphasis. Feel free to delete this comment after you read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.