Monday, January 10, 2022

ON GRATITUDE AND WONDER

 


If you knew this was your last day,
or week, or month,
how would you spend it?
What would you tell people?
Would you pick up the phone more often,
speak words of love and appreciation?

Would you sit at the shore for hours,
watching the forever waves
endlessly advancing and retreating,
until, behind your eyelids,
they were engraved forever
on your heart?

Here’s how it is:
we have this moment, now.
No more are promised.
The ferryman will come.
We knew this
when we bought the ticket.
He will glide beside the dock,
and nod: we will step in.
It will be too late then
to change
what might have been.

Here’s what I really want you to know:
I carry it all in my heart: summer days
under my grandma’s weeping willow,
teardrops and song under a teenage moon,
young motherhood, with all the struggle,
and the laughter, all those leggy children
laughing in the sun; I carry it all,
the coming home to myself,
my great leap to the sea,
the big black wolf who taught me
all that love could be.

I carry it all with me: the gifts,
the gratitude, the sorrow,
(for the recipe, my friends,
has always included sorrow.)
It has been more than I ever dreamed,
if not all that it could be.
My heart is full to the brim
with gratitude and wonder,
should I depart Tomorrow.


for my prompt at earthweal: Gratitude. I am so grateful for it all. 

13 comments:

  1. I am breathless ... and grateful for it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem reminds me of the book I am reading right now. It is my granddaughter's book and is called "They Both Die in the End." I am only 1/3 of the way into it, but the premise is that the teen characters are living their last day...they know they are going to die sometime during the day but don't know how. Thought-provokinh, but eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful anthem to a life lived to the full. You have an enormous heart and a beautiful spirit Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I carry it all, / the coming home to myself, / my great leap to the sea, /
    the big black wolf who taught me /
    all that love could be." With a gratitude that carries the sorrow too, and the farewell. A full, earth-sized heart. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so haunting, and wonderfully charged with gratitude, Sherry. Sounds like one of your Traveller poems?

    'we will step in.
    It will be too late then
    to change
    what might have been.'

    - this really gave me pause for thought, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made my heart full too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds as if you are going to be canonised any time soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I carry it all" Mmmm so full and brimming with life. Thank you.
    May I share this with some friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just share the link to my site, Frankie. Happy you like it.

      Delete
  10. Yes and yes! Each memory engraved, like the waves, in your heart. I knew when I bought the ticket. I am not afraid of being mortal. I have been happy to live a while in human form. I hope I remember this when the time to leave nears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you carry it all with a heart of gratitude. The opening question sets my mind wandering. There is so much to be grateful for, beginning with each new day. Perhaps, the key is to live it to the fullest. Grateful for the small and big things in life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.