Saturday, January 15, 2022

Clayoquot Sound Haiku 2022

 

Six in the morning
tsunami advisory
Is this the Big One?

Where will the wolves go
if the waters roll inland?
Swim fast, my loved ones.

Danger is over.
Once more, we get off easy.
Not other places.


Woke at 6 a.m. to a phone call from emergency services. Tsunami advisory because of the event at Tonga Island. Once again, I get up, gather the most basic essentials, medication, tablet, have it ready to run out the door. This is happening so often now. Each time I think: one of these times will be the Big One.

Footage of the actual event is very scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbL2cQY8gBg

But, here, once again, we got lucky. People living along the inlet saw the water draw back, then rush back in ferociously. Beaches were closed as tides and currents were expected to be wild. People on boats were told to get off the water. The advisory was called off this afternoon. No flooding expected. I unpacked my little bag one more time. No end to it, it seems.

Is it wise to live on a faultline at my age? LOL. I have no choice. It is home. I am happy here.

for earthweal's open link.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you are okay my friend. I am sure it is scary. I lived in Florida for awhile and I had a hurricane evacuation bag ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived through the tsunami of 2004! So scary but felt so grateful and lucky for having escaped with minimal damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The happy faultlines on which we live go to and fro this way, never quite safe or normal again but still home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are prepared, Sherry. I find myself wondering the same every time a storm is announced 'will this be the one?' Others seem blithely oblivious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you dodged that one, Sherry! And I like the use of the haiku form, creates that sense of urgency..JIM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.