Monday, October 4, 2021

You, the Seeker, My Lamp, the Moon


 

Little hummer,
irridescent rainbow in constant flight,
you whirred into the room at dusk,
thinking my lamp was the moon.
I swiftly clicked off the light,
to guide you to the window
where you beat frantically for a moment,
then crouched in its corner,
terrified of the giant
whose hands were slowly lowering
to cup you gently.

You stilled, as I carried
your feathered lightness outside
and, when I opened my palms to set you free,
lay for a moment on your back,
surrendered to your fate.
Suddenly recognizing you had survived,
could once more see the sky,
in that same instant,
you were halfway 'cross the meadow.

Just so, do our hearts encounter
their similar terrors,
bring them down to size,
recognize the open door of freedom,
and, each in turn, take flight.


for my prompt at earthweal, where we are contemplating moments of collateral beauty.

17 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful metaphor for the freedom that comes of realising our fears are only imagined! A delightful poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh golly I love your little bird! Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this lovely important poem. You touch my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sherry, that is a beautiful image. We all mistake lanterns for moons, we are all afraid of freedom - but when we get there - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry, this is such a touching poem. I can see you rescuing that little hummer. Sometimes we all need rescuing, I think, from the terrors that abound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a profound and beautiful poem - so delicate yet meaningful. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so tenderly beautiful Sherry. I love it. Your heart is woven throughout the lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How we all are magnified by this tender, chance encounter between human and nonhuman worlds. I am iridescent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could feel the terror of that little bird...such beauty...these creatures in their purity and innocence are testaments to the Divine. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so vivid and real, and full of wisdom as well. That last stanza is spot on, moving, and reflective of that journey we share with all the little live things, and the larger life that holds us in its sometimes terrifying giant hands. A beautiful poem, and an inspiring prompt, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written Sherry. I love how these small creatures touch our lives & remind us of the precious value of life and freedom. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I can see it all vividly. This encounter is amazing and a gift. It restores my hope and faith that we can overcome obstacles in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "surrendered to your fate". Awe, what an amazing experience - for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What tenderness. And what a great thing you did for that little creature. On behalf of all the others (birds) Thank you for doing that. And then to squeeze my heart so in this poem? Delightful. Thanks again. I wish you miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had this tab open for a long time and am glad I finally made the time to read it! Thank you for sharing your Pacific Coast hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.