Friday, October 29, 2021

Witch's Song

 


Pass me the stir-spoon, Sister, quick!
This stew's getting a little thick.
Push down the devil's claw. Mix in some thyme.
The brew must be ready by dinner-time.

A pinch of this and a pinch of that,
and don't forget to spell the Cat.
Owl sits in the corner with beady eye.
Toss him a mouse as you go by.

While it is brewing we'll sip on some gin,
and call the witches-in-training in.
Thrice round the cauldron, add some eye of newt,
and mind how you circle, or you'll tread on my boot.

Toss in two warty toads and the leg of a frog.
Let's fly round the meadow, skinny-dip in the bog,
count all our warts, multiply by two,
and I will teach a new spell to you.

To draw love, catnip, valerian for sleep.
Drop a marigold bloom in your tea; let it steep.
Calamus root and the knuckle of a frog.
We'll sing in the kitchen and dance with the dog.

Come out, my pretties, to the meadow in the hollow.
Skinny witches first, and the fat ones follow.
We will chant incantations,
                   swoop around on our brooms,
and watch that black cloud cover the moon.

Snakes go hiss and flames they crackle.
Potions bubble and pop to the witches' cackle.
Dance, sisters, dance in the light of the moon.
Ready your brooms; we'll be flying soon.


An old one, written for Real Toads some years ago. Brendan asked for something Halloweeny at earthweal's open link.


11 comments:

  1. very conspiratorial. Oh, those two! Love it for this time of the year. Will they be ok skinny dipping? Oh, I remember now, witches are reptiles. aha. How lovely, indeed. Thanks for scaring me so. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how the witches are led to the meadow in the hollow! Boo and cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun, Sherry! I'm cackling with you and boarding my broomstick as I speak...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant Sherry, the rhyme and rhythm are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love the witches-in-training. I'm sure there was a robust apprenticeship program back in the day. All your ingredients are spot on, and hey--what's wrong with dancing with the dog? We've all done that, right? Right? Happy All Hallow's Eve, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hoot and a gambol round the merry cauldron, Sherry, brewed with fine taste. How I miss Real Toads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me want to light a candle and dance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me smile and I always was one to dance in the light of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, this is a very. clever write!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.