Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Rising Like the Sun on Easter Morning


The other-world is as near
as closing your eyes.
We sat, that Easter morning,
at dawn, on the slopes
of Knox Mountain,
eyes shut, meditating on peace
for a world galloping off
in the wrong direction.

But the moment of Now
is always exactly right,
when we seek beauty and truth
and our hearts sit gratefully
in our chests.

Eyes wide shut, I lifted
off and up.  Looking down
on a planet blue and green,
I saw beams of light
shooting up - prayers
from other peaceful folk
across the globe.

On the far slopes, somewhere
above and behind, I heard
voices singing, angelic,
ghostly, because,
when we opened our eyes,
none of the others could hear.

A moment of rising,
like the morning sun,
clarity,  sweet and clear,
I open my eyes on a world
transformed and glistening,
that had never felt more dear.


for earthweal where we are contemplating enchantment. It is hard to hold onto enchantment during climate breakdown, yet what is life without beauty? Maybe now more than ever, humanity needs to fall in love with Mother Earth. Because what we love, we take care of. 

8 comments:

  1. An enchanting poem, Sherry! I love how you drift of into a dreamspace which enhanced your feeling of love for the earth. I agree that all those who can't hear need to fall in love with Mother Earth. I find hope in your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such halcyon clarity here -- what an breath and vision for all of us -- And I think so important to note too that enchantment isn't passive, one can -- must -- prepare oneself to receive it. Great stuff Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, whether we support, or don't support, private space exploration ~~~ I just finished watching William Shattner and crew return from outer space. His spontaneous effusive beautiful reaction overwhelmed anyone listening. Your poem speaks to those emotions. And thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful soaring into the universal chord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, your poem is enchanting. It transported me to nature’s beauty and made me feel grateful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your resilience and ability to remember to stop and observe the beauty around is ~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.