Thursday, July 16, 2020

Voices of the Wild


I am polar bear
crawling across a melting landscape,
just skin and bone when I
finally expire

I am Tahlequah, mother orca,
carrying my dead calf on my nose
for seventeen days,
unable to let her go

I am small terrified monkey
waiting in too-small cage
to be placed on the barbecue
in Wuhan

I am wolf
shot at from helicopters
as I run,
no safe place to hide

I am koala and kangaroo
fleeing the wildfires.
I am wild horses
with burning hooves
fleeing across a smoking landscape

I am indigenous matriarch
weeping for the destruction of
my homeland and
the genocide of my people

I am old growth forest
the last of my kind,
the lungs of the planet,
being chopped down
as swiftly as
temperatures soar

I am the voice of the wild,
of Mother Earth,
speaking in all of her voices
a message we humans
refuse or just cant bear
to hear.


for Grace's prompt at dVerse: I Am.......I chose to speak for those who have no voice. I will share this at earthweal's open link as well.

17 comments:

  1. They need someone to give them voice, as all too many speak only self. Nice startling imagery. The calf carried many days, the burning horse hooves. I am glad you included the indigenous people as well. We take. We take. We take.

    Strong write wild woman. I wrote a Nepal piece for the "i am" prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother Earth will be left no choice but to bash her favored creations' heads against the rocks, or she will perish. Long live our Mother Earth and good riddance to our species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that everyone were as wise as you my friend. Perhaps things would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem is so tragic and heart-breaking, Sherry. with the terribly sad word portraits of animals, people and trees, it made me cry, and ends with that beautiful voice, trying so hard, ‘speaking in all of her voices’, to get humans to pay attention. It must not be in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A strong voice of mother nature Sherry. I am glad you spoke for those creatures and people who have been hurt & cast to the side, even silenced forever. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a powerful perspective through the different animals and creatures of nature. It's inspiring and it as well allows others to consider their actions on how we impact nature. I love this poem and its creativity. The message is inspirational and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you speak for the earth, the animals, the humans (ignorant or informed). Your voice touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The voices of the distressed and the endangered are never heard of or just misplaced and ignored. It is sad for Mother Earth to be troubled with such ignominy. Very useful and glaring round-up Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only more people realized we are one and the same...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You write in their voices very well! Such empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great 'I am' poem. Your love for nature transpires through your lines. We kid ourselves if we think we can just ignore or abuse nature. I am afraid this will be our downfall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your poem speaks for the voiceless and those who's cries go unheeded. I hope that somehow these voices will be heard and that the destruction of nature and traditional ways of life can be halted. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't bear to hear, yes, but must. And for the bearer, hugs. -B

    ReplyDelete
  14. now you have made me these things too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have always been their voice, dear Sherry, and I thank you for the light that brings in these darkening times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.