Monday, July 20, 2020

Dogs With Haloes


The haloes, during this time
of covid,  are multiplying,
but so is the darkness.
This morning, on the news,
I watched a young man lift,
then slam, his dog down hard
on the pavement, twice.
The police came to
the dog's rescue,
and did he cower, having been
so cruelly treated just minutes before?
No, he wagged his tail,
because that is how
hopeful and forgiving
dogs are. I sobbed and sobbed.

It is like the evil emperor poked
the festering underbelly
that had been in hiding,
and gave it permission to spread.
The pus seeped out and is infecting
everything near and far,
like the virus itself.

Humans can't handle this much darkness.
I know I can't.
"Grief and holiness are all we know,"
the poet said.
This morning, what holiness there is
lives in an abused dog's wagging tail.
As for humanity, my heart aches
at how the people
in this world seem to have
collectively
gone mad.

Wild Writing with Laurie Wagner
Inspired by The Pandemic Halo by Jim Moore

5 comments:

  1. “what holiness there is
    lives in an abused dog's wagging tail”

    This breaks my heart, Sherry. I don’t know how anyone could ever hurt an animal on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humans can't handle this much darkness.... what an amazingly written poem, Sherry..and the story of the dog is heartbreaking... by the time covid is done, how much more darkness humans would have created... we live in an utterly dystopian time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judging from the news, there has been an increase in violence. The story of the dog is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Sherry. The darkness is consuming us all. I feel I must reenforce my spirituality, renew my beliefs, become stronger even if faith turns out to be useless. My blood pressure is very high lately. It's never been out of control. I suspect it's because I watch the news too much. I must restrict myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The darkness extends everywhere; and you are right, humans cannot handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.