Tuesday, July 14, 2020

A Moment


The moving truck turned the corner
at the top of the hill 
and there it was,
spread out below me -
Long Beach,
stretching long and golden,
with a huge fiery red sun
perched atop the forest,
just ready
to go down.

The sky was molten,
on fire, orange
and red and glorious.

We turned into the driveway
lined with old growth trees,
and we were there -
my cabin on the beach,
for my first winter in Tofino.

Out in the bay,
a small whale was surfacing 
and diving.
One dream,
come true,
to the max.

And I knew
that I was home.




for Brian (yay!!!!!) And the team at dVerse. Congratulations on eight wonderful years. This poem is about my first arrival in Tofino in 1989. I lived my dream for ten glorious years, then had to leave due to illness. In 2017, the universe granted me another dream I had been unable to give up on: I got to return to my soul's home, after mourning it for so long. I have been praying prayers of gratitude ever since. Not everyone gets to have a dream come true, not once, but twice. With some of us, We dont choose Tofino; Tofino chooses us.




18 comments:

  1. I know what the place meant to you, so I imagine the arriving something like this. So much anticipation overflowing. To know you are home is so special as well.

    I hope you are well Sherry. It has been far too long. I really should stop in more often. It is hard though.

    Our pathes will cross again soon enough. Stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous homecoming poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely memory, Sherry, you must have loved it there. We’ve been in our home twenty years this year, and I can understand your joy and returning. The description of the sun is so vivid in this poem, just like the image. The whale was a good omen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved the huge fiery sun perched atop the forest...what an outstanding couple of lines. A touching poem... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That feeling is familiar Sherry, even though not so spectacular. I hope you hang onto the dream this time. Now to look up Tofino...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry, you are the lukcy one wildwoman. I enjoy your views from your home. So lovely of you to drop by and participate in our prompt. Take care and enjoy your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A place like this is like a lover you always fall in love with... over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bjorn, that is what I said when I returned. It was like coming back to a lover you never stopped loving, only it was better for having missed it so much.

      Delete
  8. The sense of yearning to be home certainly must be one of our most primal feelings, like finding ourselves, like becoming the love that we seek. ~jason

    ReplyDelete
  9. Home is a feeling you'll know when you're there! You have show this feeling so well in your poem Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry, how blessed to be able to live there. I always enjoy your photos and your wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing to come here not once, but twice Sherry! Our true home at the right time in our lives can have such a powerful pull on our heart and soul xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is wonderful to read this about a dream come true. It is nice when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you have found your place. You write so beautifully about Tofino that I'd like to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sherry, your poem gave me the goosebumps. They say the cosmos does not speak, but its message here is clear: welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely memory. Happy you're living your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know how happy i am for you second act. Tofino somehow called you back and you responded.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully writ. Isn't it true sometimes? You arrive someplace you've not been before but somehow, it is home and you know you have ARRIVED into your life. The perfect moment and a blessing to move forward there. I love this post and the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.