Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Standing on the Edge of the Edge of the Apocalypse




This exercise in Wild Writing is inspired by Dreaming the Apocalypse by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer. Italicized lines are hers.

Standing on the edge of
the edge of
the apocalypse,
I set my vision as far as the horizon,
pondering all that lies between
now and the farthest day
I can imagine.

What holds me up?
Love of and belief in Mother Earth,
old growth trees, wild waves,
every dog I see and all the
furred and winged creatures
who share this world
with me.

What you cannot see changes you.

Small invisible droplets
have changed the world.

There is a sky behind the sky.
Set your sights far.
The earth goes down for miles;
we walk on layers of the past
and the ashes of our ancestors.

Listen for their voices on the wind.
They will tell you
all you need to know
about survival through hard
and questionable times.
They will tell you
the only thing for certain
is change itself.

We once thought change was a problem.

And now we know:
we either change or die.



Shared with earthweal's open link.


5 comments:

  1. I really liked what you did with this one, Sherry. And yes, we know, we either change or die. Glad you were inspired. This is one of my favorites of yours in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this so much. Your conclusion is such a great reminder that we must go with the flow, because everything changes. Maybe humanity will change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very powerful poem, Sherry. I really like the opening stanza and how the photo matches it. I think the last one is also very true. A great literary creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured the way I’ve been feeling in your opening lines, Sherry, and I like the way you interwove your words with the italicised quotes. Standing on the edge of the edge is such a strange feeling, not sure if you want to leap or fall, but scared of being pushed. I especially enjoyed the lines:
    ‘The earth goes down for miles;
    we walk on layers of the past
    and the ashes of our ancestors.

    Listen for their voices on the wind.
    They will tell you
    all you need to know’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "We walk on layers of the past" really resonates with me. There are many lessons in those layers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.