Monday, July 27, 2020

IN THE PRESENCE OF THE SACRED


This is the Hanging Garden Tree, on the Tall Tree Trail
on Wah'nah'juss, otherwise known as Meares Island. 
This island lies across the harbour from Tofino,
a sacred forest filled with ancient beings
and wild creatures. I have felt a sacredness 
there more than in any cathedral.
On Wah'nah'juss, 10,000 Nuu chah nulth lived pre-contact. Only a few hundred survived, by going deep into the forest for years, to wait out the devastation of the smallpox epidemic brought by the settlers.


I am Hanging Garden Tree,
my thick trunk hosting
an abundance of life forms,
diverse and vital;
garlanded with root and vine,
with fern and flower,
a universe within my leafy bower.

I am home to Sky Creatures, all the winged ones,
Owl and skyhawk, murrelet and swallow;
small furry-pawed ones dart among my branches
and nestle soft within my sleepy hollows.

A thousand fern fronds
drape fringed shawls along my shoulders,
soft moss, green lichen and fat mushroom clinging,
climbing vine that wraps itself around me
and, in my hair, a hundred starlings, singing.

Myriad insect worlds I tend and harbor.
I shelter bear and wolf, am food for deer.
To all Two-Leggeds who come before me, seeking,
I offer peace within my silent arbor.

Young Standing People upon my branches grow.
They came through me, nurtured the best I know.
Roots fattened with the seasons of my living,
they stretch beyond my reach now, one by one,
as I support their separate struggle
towards the sun.

In this the season of my deep reflection
I'm tired now; I have endured an age.
At dusk, Sky Woman comes,
serene and sage,
to scatter stars about my weary head,
while Sister Moon
sends me such perfect dreams,
I'm spirit-fed, and morning comes
too soon.

In this grove we're in
the presence of the sacred:
sharing our breath,
our tenancy of earth and sky,
interconnected to all the Four Directions
by the Love to which we all belong,
under the grace of a Celestial Eye,
all singers of the universal song.


The Hanging Garden Tree has an abundance of life forms growing on it, ferns, mushrooms, moss and smaller trees. As a single mother of four, I relate to the strength it takes, to support so much growth.

Shared with earthweal for Brendan's prompt: Sacred Landscapes. I am fortunate to live on such sacred landscape, close to these ancient beings.




13 comments:

  1. skywoman angel sings great song for all beings. flinging this sacred space into the ether, where it's soul can reach those like me. thank you. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine one might feel so small next to a magnificent tree such as this. So much life living in it and around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful hymn to a sacred place. I felt the energy of it coming through your words. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful, Sherry. You give words to all the sustaining beings of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures, poem and tree, Sherry! Trees are cathedrals and forests are indeed sacred. I love that you wrote this poem from the perspective of the tree, the way it cares for the all the creatures that live in it, and its friendly cohabitation with other plants. If only all humans were so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful and peaceful setting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel the magic. You are lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this the season of my deep reflection
    I'm tired now; I have endured an age.

    I can relate to these lines, Sherry.
    Such a lovely poem about searching for peace and serenity in these troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I am ..." is the shamanic identification of I in World -- here an ancient forest --: and how it places us in the midst of sacred landscape. Amazon aboriginals are now being wiped out by coronavirus (propagated, in such monstrous measure, by Bolsinaro + his legion of forest burners). Too bad there is so much elegy now mixed in with the exaltation ... Well done Sherry and a perfect contribution to the challenge. - B

    ReplyDelete
  10. God is found in nature as much, if not more, than in places of worship. Powerful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how musically this flows - I can really sense your connection and appreciation for this sacred place. I am glad you sing its song for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "a universe within my leafy bower"

    And in your words as you travel this ancient being and identify with him/her/it. This is my new favorite, Sherry. It is in every way beautiful: progression, size, rhythm, shape, images. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tree being. Thank you for sharing this sacred place with us. So much beauty in this writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.