Thursday, November 16, 2023

This Morning, Out My Window

 


This morning,
out my window,
the sky is becoming its day face,
after the long, dark night.

Just so, looking up,
does my heart expand
and take a circle or two
above the trees:
joyous, expansive,
above all of the cacophony
of humans being less
than we should be to each other.

My heart, a wise old owl,
perched on a cedar bough;
a raven with its gobble-cry;
a heron, skinny matron,
purse clutched under her wing.

The heavy stones in my heart
called grief,
called war,
the human-caused suffering
of all beings,
the accelerating climate crisis,
(ignored, because we are distracted
by the bombing):
I lay them down in the River of Solitude,
then walk on to the sea:
take refuge in
the eternal waves
that will be here long after
you and me.

My wish: that the great sky above
cover the entire globe
with peace; where
no bombs fall,
and all who suffer
find the healing, help and hope
they need.

A big wish. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this, Sherry-- particularly the last stanza's wish that the sky could cover the whole world with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "ignored, because we are distracted
    by the bombing" YES thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.