Friday, November 17, 2023

Heart Broken Open

 


How would we be to each other,
if we knew we are each one small piece
of the broken heart of the world?

This must be why we wake up aching,
why, when everything around us
is beautiful beyond reckoning,
our hearts still feel broken inside us,
because the world is hurting
and we are the ones who cause it,
and the only ones who can heal it.

Today I will stand at the edge of the sea,
next stop, Japan - such vastness.
I will count the oystercatchers on the rocks.
Maybe an eagle will perch so close
I can see its feathers, it regarding me
with its imperial eye, me humble,
passing gently so as not to disturb.

Why can we not pass this gently,
have this same regard,
for our fellow humans?
How would we be to each other,
if we knew that we each
are one small piece
of the broken heart of the world?

The idea of each of us being one small part of the broken heart of the world comes from Mark Nepo, who taught this concept at a writing workshop recently.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the world at its heart has many chips. I like this way of describing how we, after all is said and done, are separate but one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One would hope it would make a difference if we realized we were all part of the same heart. One would hope.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.