Monday, November 27, 2023

Letting Go



I save my love for what stays:
what is close at hand - the ancient forest,
birdsong, the roar of the sea -

and dogs, looking at me with
their doggy smiles, eyes full of love
for the simplest thing: a pat,
a biscuit, some loving words. 

I let go of what wants to leave:
who turns away, becoming mist;
so many leavings along
one's path, no words of farewell,
just sudden absence; I bless them
with the gift of grace
as they go on their way.

I save my love for what stays.


The italicized lines are from the poem "I Save My Love" by Marjorie Saiser, of Wild Writing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, all you need is a beach and a dog, but I would also add a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this, Sherry. Best to love what stays - that is what is most important. And also best to let go of what wants to leave. No use wasting one's love where it is not wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.