Tuesday, November 14, 2023

THINGS I HAVE LOVED

 


Me and Pup - the Dog of Joy
(He was jumping for a treat!)


The sky, ever-changing in colour and mood,
in sun, in starshine, in midnight moons.
The river wild, remembering my old
wolf-dog's eyes looking helplessly at me
as the current caught him,
and he started drifting away,
me getting ready to
plunge in after him, till an outcropping 
caught him, returning him to me.
For I have loved him best
in this world.

I have loved mornings, the certain smell
at the farm that takes me back to
summer mornings as a child; and that
golden time in late afternoon, when 
the light changes and turns the trees
to amber; and that smell - petrichor -
just before the first drops of rain,
when once more I am back in childhood,
listening to a thunderstorm
in the back room of the cottage
on Christleton Avenue
with my Grandma.

Sunrises and sunsets, which I miss 
in my elder years, because I am always
still tired, when I wake up, and
too tired at day's end.
But I remember, I remember, skies
that looked like the floor of heaven,
me sitting on a log, wondering
if the one I loved loved me.
He didn't, but my wolf-dog did;
he showed me how love was
meant to be.

I love tiny purple crocuses 
out on the lawn, brave forerunners,
as spring tiptoes in,
just waiting to spread her skirts
of white blossoms across 
the two old cherry trees
in the yard. I love summers,
sitting out front in the sun, and rocking,
watching the world walking by
with its children and dogs and canes.
I love when they wave and I wave back.
I love the big window through which
I watch the changing skies and seasons.
Sometimes an eagle swoops past,
sometimes a skinny heron
perches in a topmost tree.

I love that last Valentine's Day
I woke up to discover
someone unknown had taped small hearts
all across  the front windows - love,
to make a stranger smile.
I love the orange gerberas
on my desk, with their black eyes,
brightening this rainy day
as I ponder the winter ahead
with its indoor comforts.

I love ancient old growth: thick weathered
trunks and old man's beard,
moss and lichen,
and feeling in the forest like I once did
long ago at morning mass:
silent, peaceful,
reverential.
I love long sandy shores stretching
to forever, and the way my wolf dog and I 
walked them, wildly, joyously
for years; never again
would I feel so whole, so free,
after he was gone from me.

I love the beauty of the world,
the true, good hearts of animals, and
what is best in humanity,
when people bring their open hearts
to helping others
in times of trouble.
Times when we puny humans
reach deep within,
and connect with something deeper,
something bigger
than ourselves
that is called Love.

So much love keeps my heart
full to the brim
on any given day,
and I know that
I have been very lucky
in this life; I have been
gifted and blessed
in every single way.


For Mary's prompt at What's Going On? LOVE. What the world needs now. 

16 comments:

  1. This poem is so YOU, Sherry. There is so much to love in the sky, in the earth, in people....and (of course) wonderful Pup! So nicely penned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Mary says it right, this poem is so You. "Times when we puny humans
    reach deep within,
    and connect with something deeper,
    something bigger
    than ourselves
    that is called Love."....The lines shine, Sherry and deeply touch us. And it's wonderful when we get to see Pup looking at us through your lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gratitude for your in-depth analysis. Your post adds tremendous value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem vibrates with a love deep and full, seeking out the beauty on offer and filling a heart with it... that connection deeper and bigger than ourselves is the most beautiful thing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck I missed this prompt. Maybe the next. I love many of the same things that you put into words for me. Wolf dogs and big skies. On and on....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have until Sunday before the prompt closes.

      Delete
  6. Your list of things you’ve loved is so comprehensive and varied, Sherry, and so much resonates with me. Your poem appeals to all the senses. Lines that stood out for me:
    ‘…that
    golden time in late afternoon, when
    the light changes and turns the trees
    to amber; and that smell - petrichor -
    just before the first drops of rain’;
    orange gerberas and
    ‘ ancient old growth: thick weathered
    trunks and old man's beard,
    moss and lichen’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A truely lovely poem!! I love it. Thanks Sherry. Something I Think About - annell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Sherry! So much to love, with the warmth of one dog woven through it. I am so happy that you love in your memories what you can't see anymore. My favorite image here is "and that / golden time in late afternoon, when
    the light changes and turns the trees
    to amber." I too noted that there is a way to love people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Managed to break through the heaviness of war and climate for a bit to write to the prompt.. so glad you have this space for poetry and peace. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knew Pup would get a mention...Your contentment and happiness shows....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry,
    This poem is like a walk through your life and all the things which are important to you.
    I agree with Mary, that this poem is so you!
    Knowing your absolute love for nature and all the things of the earth, then this poem captures it all...Knowing your forever love for Pup, is there too..
    A beautiful poem: just you Sherry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, agree with Eileen .. and others this poem is the essence of "you" and all that you love - I felt my breathe catch on these exquisite images and tears of caught joy glisten in my eyes as I read... Going back for a second and third reading.. I LOVE THIS POEM and I LOVE YOU TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your heart shines throughout your poem of "I Love" I love many of the same things you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, friends, for the lovely comments. They gladden my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just wonderful, Sherry. I love the surprise of the Valentine hearts!! And I always love your poems about/with Pup.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.