Wednesday, April 13, 2022

SURPRISE

 


The world is full of surprises:
the four brown wolves loping along the shore,
the grey owl, perched in a tree alongside the trail,
her gaze meeting mine - no startling, no fear,
just a placid gaze that says "I am here
and you are there, and we are Looking."

I don't know why I was surprised
that someone who seemed so close
could remove herself so completely,
leaving the "why?" hanging, unanswered.
Perhaps forever?

I did not expect, in my declining years, 
to see fascism rising around the globe:
the fascism I have spent my life studying,
believing it could never happen here.
And yet it has.

I did not expect, having been born
at the end of WWII,
that I would be watching a brutal war
on my tv screen: such suffering imposed
unjustly, the behaviour so cruel;
or the random mass shootings by people
so enraged they want to impose their pain
on innocent others.

I used to believe that good always
triumphed, that light outshone the darkness,
that everything would come out right
in the end. That we would save the planet,
and ourselves.

I wanted to be surprised by life,
and I have been. I have. Just not
in any of the ways that I expected.
Just not in any of the ways that I
once dreamed.


Inspired by "I Wanted to Be Surprised" by Jane Hirschfield. The italicized lines are hers.

3 comments:

  1. A very timely and affecting poem, Sherry. Your wonderful depiction of the natural world gives me hope, despite the distressing state of current affairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just not
    in any of the ways that I expected... that resonates so deeply... this is a beautiful poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on this. In recent years the surprises have been bad ones. whenever one thinks things cannot be worse, they are. Truly I share your sadness for what has happened in our world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.