Wednesday, April 20, 2022

I'll Take Everything

 


This long journey has brought me
tears and laughter, hard times, and
golden times. It brought me Brock and Friends,
who led me out of a Siberia of the heart
into the sunshine. It brought me ten years 
by the sea in the place of my dreams:
wild waves, old growth forests,
the blockades of '93, a black wolf puppy.
It brought me heartbreak when I had to leave
such joy behind. And joy when life
brought me back again.
 It has brought me struggle
and how to grow a never-give-up heart.

It has taught me to Be the Observer 
of other peoples' jangly stuff. My heart
whispers: let it be. Time is the great teacher.
(My time is short. They may not learn
until after I am gone, but this is
their journey to make, as I make mine.)

Today, though I wish it otherwise,
brings a terrible war across the sea:
genocide, horror, sorrow, suffering
from which we cannot turn away.
(If they can live it, we can bear witness.)
Today also brings springtime blossoms,
another wolf-dog fixing me
with his pale blue eyes,
a bear wandering through the trails,
awaiting berries. A deer is nibbling
at the bird feeder, waiting for
the grass to grow. Across the sea,
under the same sky,
bombs are falling on grandmothers
and babies. Dogs cower in corners,
shivering violently, as the missiles hit.
Somewhere else, there are fields
full of baby lambs.
In poems, joy and sorrow are mates.

In a poem, it doesn't matter that my thoughts
bounce from light to dark and back again.
It is all life, in this aging body that's
bending towards the earth. Even the infirmities
are blessings; it is a privilege to still be here,
still traveling. This is the deal:
we never know what spoonful will be served
to us next. But we say, with faith and hope:
I'll take everything on the menu.

Inspired by Everything On the Menu by Ellen Bass. The italicized lines are hers.


3 comments:

  1. Wise Woman, Wild Woman ... knows all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drawn a real portrait of man's selfish mottoes, pulling down even the petite glory of others.Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad you've found another blue-eyed dog. They *are* special.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.