Monday, April 18, 2022

FOREVER WILD

 


Through three decades of
trauma and oppression,
caged, abused, in search of Me,
there was something in my spirit
that said one day I'll be free.

In those years of growing whole,
of refurbishing my soul,
nature called to me, her child,
told me I'd be forever wild.

I followed my heart to the ocean's roar,
was happier than ever before.
Forest and waves restored my soul.
Steeped in nature, I grew whole.

In years when I am watching
the world that I love dying,
all the wild things crying,
it is to nature that I turn
for solace, as the seasons burn.

Even though we treat her ill,
she is our Mother, loves us still.
Always, I am nature's child.
I'll always be forever wild.


For my prompt at earthweal: Everwild, inspired by Ingrid Wilson's wonderful poem Everwild.

13 comments:

  1. Love the last stanza. We've done a lousy job of loving her back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, enough with poetry that guarantees to produce tears ... (kidding). Immensely satisfying Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this. My poem this week is also about the sound of the sea. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wonder if all those bad years were meant, were part of the birth and without which I would not know a mother's agony and love - from my birth mother, my earth mother. Borne here as her wild child, we take our place in her forest even as (and because) it burns. Great work and a great challenge Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep your wildness alive, Sherry! And continue to express your love and care for Mother Earth as only you do. As Yvonne mentioned, I like that last stanza as well. I keep thinking of the Springsteen song "Born to Be Wild." A different kind of wild, but still......

    ReplyDelete
  6. tender and strong, both - and an important reminder ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words chime with my own, Sherry, especially:

    'Forest and waves restored my soul.
    Steeped in nature, I grew whole.'

    In times of deep grief and distress, nature soothes me. We should repay her in kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each time you write about your/our relationship with nature, you go deeper, affirm more. This is my new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sea is so healing--it always calls to us I think. I can always feel your connection to the natural world in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful rhymes-and rhythm scheme in this one, yes you will forever be wild. That is the true beauty of your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Google blocked your perfectly acceptable comment on my blog and now it's blocking mine on yours. More "updates"...I wish the FCC would outlaw those "updates"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.