Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Disappearing Fathers




Where do I start with disappearing fathers?
There was mine who disappeared into the bottle,
and then death. There was my children's father,
absent financially, whom they saw once a year
for three days. Then my youngest's, who did
the most thorough disappearing act of all.

I watched them, all my life, the fathers:
washing their cars in the driveway,
coming home at the end of the day
to their normal homes, their normal lives,
the husbands and fathers I had longed for,
who never arrived.

They were a breed undiscovered
and foreign: the ones who stayed.
At writers' group, when we read
the stories of our childhood, I listen
as if to a fairy tale, about summer nights,
fireflies, and happy families.
When I look up from reading my piece,
the faces are appalled, my stories
tales from the Brothers Grimm,
full of disappearing fathers,
strong, exhausted mothers,
and children longing for a Normal
they had never learned to recognize,
and so could never find.

Inspired by Disappearing Fathers by Faith Shearin

2 comments:

  1. This is very poignant, Sherrie. You did not luck out with your father or with the fathers of your children.And I do strongly feel your yearning for what you saw others have but didn't have yourself. I like this poem a lot, as it is so real and honest. It is one of your best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wish my Drill Sergeant Dad would disappear! (On the whole I'm glad he didn't.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.