Thursday, April 7, 2022

SUNDAY MORNING, EARLY

 


Shannon Boothman, R.I.P.

Sunday morning, early,* they found you,
no longer alive, alongside the road,
your faithful dogs sitting by your side.
It was storming; you were walking.
Hypothermia, they say.
Perhaps you fell. Perhaps the cold
seeped into your bones
and you drifted away. Perhaps
your dogs howled their grief.
I know they're grieving now.

Two things in life you loved:
dogs and Tofino, just like me.

Everything is a metaphor.*
Just this swiftly and unexpectedly
does the ferryman arrive
to spirit us away.
I take no day for granted,
for each is numbered.

Sunday morning, early,*
too soon you slipped away.
Every evening, now, I count my future
tomorrows, less one day.


***

For Shannon Boothman, age 52
May she rest in peace.
May there be dogs and beaches
where she has gone.



One of Shannon's dogs

*** Italicized lines are borrowed from the poem "Sunday Morning, Early" by David Romtvedt.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a horrible tragedy. So very, very young. A powerful reminder of how quickly things can happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.