Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Playing Hide 'n Seek with the Muse

 


The Muse first whispered in my ear
when I was fourteen, sitting at my desk
in school. She insisted I write down
the words she gave me:

Each acquaintance on the road to Never
whispers through the soul

the poem began and, from that day,
the words have never ceased.

During the busy raising-children years,
the poems were fewer, farther in between.
I felt the guilt; I knew writing was a gift.

In 2010, the poems were faltering
for lack of nurture, until I found
the online poetry circuit, where, 
for happy years of give-and-take
we all were writing at the top of our game.

It was in those years that Wild Woman
began to speak. Some days, I wrote as me;
on other days, Wild Woman wrote the poems.

But she is weary now. The poems
are less poem than words transcribed
by a faltering pen.
I remain grateful to still be here,
and writing anything at all.  Grateful 
to know so many poets around the world.
Grateful to appreciate that, as long
as there is a world, there will be poets,
bearing witness to the burn and the beauty,
the sorrow and the wild, galloping joy,
the incomparable adventure
that is life.

This poet knows her best poems are behind her. But I am grateful to be still connected to a community of poets, still sharing words and observations on the journey.

For Brendan at earthweal where he invites us to explore the nature of poetry.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks Sherry -- Quite a road for you from those first verses: a deep and wild walk in the woods of the word! Funny, I remember a bit of dictation toward the start of my writing poetry, a voice whispering in my mind: "in the beat resounding in silence / she resides." Never forgot it. I too feel past the big work and mostly feel grateful for all that was given. Online poetry saved me, too. Peace, friend -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sherry, I disagree, your best poems are not behind you! Like you, my muse introduced herself when I was young, and stayed with me, although life sometimes muffled her voice. Wild Woman may not be wild any longer, but she still has poems to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sad Sherry --but sometimes a muse fades then returns!

    Those lines you were forst given are resonant:
    "Each acquaintance on the road to Never
    whispers through the soul"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that Wild Woman found her voice and is still using it for good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kim: your best poems are not behind you! I think poetry is second nature to you, and it flows in your veins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we can judge our best. Your words inspire and resonate with this reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you have described your life long love of words and poetry. Your work is always inspirational. Who can say what is best - often the later work offers more subtle and poignant responses to life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.