Friday, March 19, 2021

A Bed for Wolves

 

Tall Tree Trail 1989


When I die,
perch me in the bowl
of an ancient cedar 
- gently! -
don't crush the mosses.
Let my eyes face the sea,
my ears attune to
the tides and the patter
of the rain
on the leaves.
Let me sway gently
in the winter gales,
supple and bending
like a Taoist gentleman
practicing Tai Chi.
When, in time, I topple out,
come back and make a nest for me
of rotted nurselog and dampened salal.
Add a blanket
of thick moss
and old man's beard.
Tap it down lightly.
Let it become
a bed
for wolves.

9 comments:

  1. I really felt this poem... shook me. This is gorgeous writing, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gentle return to nature sleeping in a mossy hollow. A good choice for a final resting place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, this is a stunning poem! The ‘bowl of an ancient cedar’ is the best final resting place, not only for a wolf. I love the reminder not to crush the mosses and the way the mosses become part of a bed for wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The intimacy you have with this sacred tree and its particulars shows a heart that knows its final resting place. How can a life and a poetry not be redeemed by this? How can this community not be enriched. Amen, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful and so very moving. Heartfelt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one, Sherry. Sounds like a wonderful final resting place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aah...the word 'gentle' oozing with contentment to the end so touches deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem is amazing, the connection to the tree, earth, life and death all strung together in soft moss. It sounds like a place of peaceful eternal slumber.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the West Coast, the Nuu-chah-nulth did used to sit their dead in the trees. Sort of like the sky burials in Tibet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.