Friday, November 6, 2020

Wild Woman Needs Her Hair

 


The world holds its breath
as the votes are counted and re-counted.
The orange man blusters, as expected,
because this is about his ego,
not the American people, 
(it never was about
anything but him)
and "I don't like losing" -
the only honest thing
I have ever heard him say.

For a moment, I saw him 
as a hurting human being.

But flawed humans only know
how to act as they always have,
so: lawsuits, unfounded challenges,
sowing seeds of mistrust
in the democratic process,
the bedrock of American democracy.

There has never been
such a stressful or contentious election
(even when, last time, Russian interference
"won" the election
over the will of the people).

But the American people came through.
They voted for decency.
For democracy.
For social and environmental justice.

The stress has been killing me.
My hair is falling out,
and, God knows,  Wild Woman
needs her hair.

I obsessively watch the news.
I walk on the beach.
I pace.
I try to trust that goodness
will prevail.
(He has dampened the hopefulness
of my heart; perhaps
my greatest grievance.)

In the streets of some cities
in the USA, people are dancing.
My heart will dance, too.
It will hope again,
once the anouncement is made,
when it is official: we have been
delivered, and civil, reasonable voices
will soon return to the airwaves again.
When someone who knows
government is there to serve
leads us again.

Meanwhile, my scalp shows through.
My wits, such as they are,
are at their end.

It is possible that this "presidency"
has been killing me, lover of
social and environmental justice
that I am. It is possible,
however, resilient as I am,
that my heart and hope will Rise Again.

January, 2021 : we have a date!
I promise you,
there will be dancing!


sigh. for earthweal. I am sure you are all feeling as battered as I am. This is excruciating, but expected, given who we are dealing with. Let's put a cone of safety around Joe and Kamala. Seriously. I simply cannot take much more.



6 comments:

  1. I feel the same, Sherry, and I’m over the other side of the planet. I imagine, from reading articles, that the majority of people across the world feel like this but were too scared to say so. I’m worried about what those gun-toting supporters of the orange madman will do next. I agree, "I don't like losing" was the only honest thing that ever escaped his arrogant lips. Keep your hair on, Wild Woman, you need it to flick and toss when you dance with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let there be dancing indeed! The wait is agonizing and it's probably just beginning. I have to limit the political bandwidth -- walks and conversations with trees have helped. Well done and breathe in the fullness outside. Our madness is mostly digital. - B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope we make it to January in one piece...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there will be dancing in the streets -- we hope! Indeed the people came through. I have seen articles where the native peoples here really turned out for Joe in the areas in which they lived. We do hope things will go well in the transition. We do need hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your heart is dancing now Sherry❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have felt your pain across the world and are dancing with you now xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.