Monday, November 23, 2020

ON GRATITUDE AND WONDER

Wickaninnish in blue

If you knew this was your last day,
or week, or month,
how would you spend it?
What would you tell people?
Would you pick up the phone more often,
speak words of love and appreciation?

Would you sit at the shore for hours,
watching the forever waves
endlessly advancing and retreating,
until, behind your eyelids,
they were engraved forever
on your heart?

Here’s how it is:
we have this moment, now.
No more are promised.
The ferryman will come.
We knew this when we bought the ticket.
He will glide beside the dock,
and nod: we will step in.
It will be too late then
to change what might have been.

Here’s what I really want you to know:
I carry it all in my heart: summer days
under my grandma’s weeping willow,
teardrops and song under a teenage moon,
young motherhood, with all the struggle,
and the laughter, all those leggy children
laughing in the sun; I carry it all,
the coming home to myself,
my great leap to the sea,
the big black wolf who taught me
all that love could be.

I carry it all with me: the gifts,
the gratitude, the sorrow,
(for the recipe, my friends,
has always included sorrow.)
It has been more than I ever dreamed,
if not all that it could be.
My heart is full to the brim
with gratitude and wonder,
should I depart Tomorrow.

for Brendan at earthweal where we are giving thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in the US. Stay safe everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Wow - what a wonderful poem. I am deeply moved and impressed by it. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sherry. This is wonderful. So rich, so full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. Such an important lesson for us all: 'we have this moment, now.
    No more are promised.' I am so glad to read of your heart, brimful of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your poem is a wonderful lesson. The feeling of gratitude, in these difficult times, is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great plan, Sherry. And an excellent starting place 'pick list'. I would LIKE to choose all of the above, wonderful thoughts, not a bit selfish or remorsefulness.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful poem - full of reflection and a great sense of learning and journeying

    ReplyDelete
  7. The questions in your opening stanza have left me thinking, Sherry, and the lovely memories you carry in my heart made me well up. I have similar ones. Such a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Sherry, you bring honor to the journey. Through the good and bad you find purpose and love in life. So beautiful. As, I am typing this I see a hawk circling the now barren maple. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely poem Sherry.
    "The ferryman will come.
    We knew this when we bought the ticket."
    This is a great line, among many. This is a poem to live by..JIM

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are in a good place Sherry. I was thinking in the past few weeks that I still have a lot of unfinished business myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry, one of your very best. Deeply moving ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I am weeping. I have to read this poem every week forever! (Sharing)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry every line is a jewel of wisdom and true beauty! Magnificent and gorgeous! I LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.