Sunday, December 22, 2019

White, for Remembering



I looked into the eye of an old brown horse
who had lived many seasons.
We shared a Knowing.
I whispered to her,
"It will be all right."
She and I both knew
Death was drawing near.

I looked into the eye of a bright-hearted foal,
born in his mother's  old age,
so my sister became his mother
for too brief a time.
Mare and foal are buried together in the pasture,
along with all the dogs we ever loved:
a Cemetery of Heartbreak
my sister and I cannot speak about.

I see white cloud-horses in the sky
and dream perhaps our loved beasts
are galloping in freedom
overhead.

In winter, the ground is
covered in white.
White, for remembering
all we have lost.
White, to pretty up the dirt
that covers the bodies
of those we have loved so much.
White, the cold touch of loss
that breaks our ruby-red hearts
and stitches them back together with tears.

We miss our dear ones most in winter.
Our hearts feel the frost
of all we have lost;
we can hardly bear to remember
the astonishing richness
of all that - for a time -
was ours.


for Carrie at The Sunday Muse

7 comments:

  1. In winter, the ground is
    covered in white.
    White, for remembering
    all we have lost.
    White, to pretty up the dirt
    that covers the bodies..

    These lines really got to me, Sherry. So much loss, but so much gained along the way to, and each new fallen snow of the year must be like a blank slate, and a starting over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "White for remembering"...this is so heart stirring and lovely Sherry! I do think that also at this time of year...the hurt we feel in our heart for loss of those we love seems to be more raw and on our minds. I absolutely love this poem Sherry! Thank you so much for joining us. (Also, the photo is for free use, in case you did not see my message at the Muse)Wishing you a lovely Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful idea and execution, Sherry. Yes, we do love our departed loved ones most at this time of the year and we do imagine them in glorious white robes astride beautiful white horses. Must be their purity 'aloft'.

    Cheers, Sherry, your lovely name prompted me to fill my glass. Happy Christmas. Clink, clink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then there are the memories of Christmases when my kids were young and then, later, when I had a place of my own, when they would all come home for Christmas. All so different now. But such rich memories, down all those busy happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white blankets the earth and there is a stillness. The holidays are often a time of remembrance of those we have lost. I can feel this today. You are an amazing person filled with the spirit of love.

    Bless you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something about the cold... that makes nostalgia grow thicker. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a winter of loss for me so I identify with your beautiful write.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.