Sunday, December 15, 2019

No More Toads, No More Princes



Every time you opened your mouth,
a hairy toad popped out.
You tried to make them pretty
but a toad's a toad, without a doubt.

You could line up all the toads
between Port and Whiskey Creek,
and they wouldn't even cover
all the lies you made me eat.

You had all the rehearsed words,
said the same to all the girls,
were horrified when we compared,
after you gave us each a whirl.

You were the last nail in the coffin
when that Farce au Deux was done.
You made me appreciate
the peacefulness of being one.


For Marian, at Toads. The line about a mouth opening and stones falling out made me think of my Last Bad Dating Experience. In his case, toads seemed more appropriate. I will never kiss another. Lol.



13 comments:

  1. The opening lines with the hairy toad made me smile, Sherry! I’d love to hear your poem put to music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being as one is the best thing too - I love your poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this Toad sends you a kiss across the miles! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! It takes one a lifetime to appreciate the single life though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That opening quatrain could stand alone, but I'm glad it doesn't. Fine work indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do we have to walk through toad lies? I guess experience teaches so we can pass on wisdom. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!❤️ I resonate with 'the peacefulness of being one' after getting through the storm of hurt and lies. Strong write, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Methinks I like a horny toad better than a hoary fraud, but why must we choose? Isn't there a Knight behind Door Number Three? -- In AA we say being honest means whenever we open our mouth, a bone falls out. Too bad in dating the rules are different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being single doesn't have to mean being lonely. A bad relationship makes one feel all alone! A rich life, a fulfilled life has many different looks. It seems to me you are very rich. :) You crack me up- say you might have something when you get back and here you are, headlining the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I woke up with vertigo so bad i had to cancel the road trip. The dizziness likely explains the silly poem. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I applied myself .... think I could sing your wonderful poem! But, I won’t inflict it on you! Happy Holidays, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if there are more bad dates out there than there are good ones... but I think we can all find a pond where we can have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't blame this fun poem on dizziness! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.