Friday, December 20, 2019

Imagine



We thought we would change the world,
we, the dreamers, the singers,
the all-you-need-is-love believers.
Then they shot all our heroes;
the world took a dark turning.
The Man had money as his only goal,
was always the deceiver.
We dreamers went undercover
and tended to our souls.

And now we are turning again,
dark forces ascendant,
but lighter spirits striving.
In its death-to-life throes,
the very earth is writhing,
trying to throw off all
that is making it so ill.
Time is short, my friends,
but we are dreaming, still.

I have spent my whole life dreaming
of the world that's meant to be:
social and climate justice, enough
for every you and every me.

I am weary from dreaming,
but my "Imagine Peace" banner
stays unfurled,
in case my belief is the final prayer
of hope, heaven-hurled,
that will topple us into a better tomorrow,
and a kinder, gentler world.


for Marian at Real Toads: Imagine

Always hoping that the collective transformation of consciousness will happen before the apocalypse - have had to adjust my dreams just a tad since 1970.

18 comments:

  1. in case my belief is the final prayer
    of hope, heaven-hurled

    Hope is the only salvation apparently. The powers that be perhaps may not want peace as it is big business to foment restlessness in a world divided. Beautiful write Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine what it would have been like!! It still could, it does, sort of, in parts of the world.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MERRY CHRISTMAS SHERRY, to YOU and YOURS !!!
      ..

      Delete
  3. I cannot stop humming “Rainbow Connection” ~~ see what you started? A beautiful poem Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must hang on to that prayer of hope that more people will truly see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first three lines are stunning and the heat-felt words that follow are very endearing - Do you really have a 1970's Peace banner? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my "Imagine Peace" banner
    stays unfurled...

    Long may you continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Sherry your last stanza, all the love and gratitude for you.
    I swear, you and Greta Thunberg have kept me from total despair of late.
    I love you, Sherry!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smiles. Thank you, friends. I am weary from living in hope. But for the young ones, we must keep doing so. Hope and action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep telling people they don't have to change the world; they only have to change their mind. I don't see what's so damned hard to understand...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all for "hope, heaven-hurled." My hope is that Someone is listening. Maybe the most we can do is imagine that Someone is ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes the struggle has been long and we still haven't managed to achieve we all imagined so many years ago but our efforts then have ensured there will always many enthused young people that know they they can help by getting their voices heard too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagining is where it starts. Once enough of us imagine it, we can make it real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there are so many imagining... but yet there are those who twist our mind to greed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We can't help but hang on, even to a thread of the dream. What would John be doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful poem. Makes this dreamer feel less lonely! :-)

    I too wonder if "the collective transformation of consciousness will happen before the apocalypse" or not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hang in there, lets give Peace a chance

    Merry 🎅Christmas

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.