Thursday, October 24, 2019

Watch for Me, a Sandpiper at the Edge of the Sea




Dear Earth,
I will return to the shores of Wickaninnish,
roiling in winter storm.
I shall come back to watch the morning break
against blue sky and rose-tinged puffy cloud,
to see all the creatures stir and waken,
and the day unfold.
I shall return to gaze in wonder,
at the end of day,
as the sun sinks, purple, azure, gold,
below the horizon,
and the skies become a masterpiece
painted by God.

I may return as a seabird,
as Jonathan, 
still outside of the pack, observing, 
still hobbling on the ground
and dreaming of the sky.
I'll pick a shell in my beak 
and carry it off to my perch,
then drop it,
deep in the forest,
for a wanderer to find, 
and marvel at, years hence.
Or I might be a sandpiper, 
one of the flock,
lifting and turning together
as one body, at the edge of the sea.

How could my spirit not return
to the forests and rivers and ocean I love,
to catch my breath once more as the morning mist
drapes itself companionably across Lone Cone,
to behold again her slopes turning deepest rose
in late afternoon?
The call of the murmurous, forever waves,
the smell of salt, kelp and seaweed,
ocean essence will draw me, as before,
to the beautiful shore.

I will return, once again young,
to the desert along the lake
where I began,
for the smell of peony and sweet pea
on soft-scented summer evenings,
for a shy, youthful kiss under weeping willow,
lake ripples lapping gently,
and all of life's hopes and dreams lying ahead,
all golden and shining.
I will return for apple blossoms, 
and the scent of sage and Ponderosa pine
on hot, dusty hills
covered with yellow flowers.

But then the shore will draw me back,
as it always did,
the blue sky drawing my gaze
as it did for all my many years.
I will heed the call of the ancient trees,
where restless spirits live,
their mournful song whispering  wisdom -
urgent truth for us to hear and heed,
if we but listen.

If I don't return in body,
I will return as raindrops on salal,
as moss on an old stump,
or old man's beard on cedar.
I will return
in wagging puppy-tails 
and wise old elephant eyes,
or a grey whale, diving, 
its fluted tail arching over and up,
then slipping down, down, 
into the mysterious depths.

Watch the world with wonder,
as I have these many years,
and you'll find me,
never farther away than
the nearest beautiful thing.


A poem from 2016, to be shared with the good folks at Poets United on Sunday morning.



34 comments:

  1. Sherry, I am sure that you will find some way to return! I have no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful poem so full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes it's comforting to remember we are all made of star-stuff ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right, so the closing stanza made me squeal. I love the power of the imagery and the self-truth in the words, the beauty of the whole.

    Also, the words made me think of of my favorite quotes, from The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman:

    "...and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again... We'll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pin trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful poem - I love that your beauty will always be found

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely epic poem, Sherry, and what a wonderful bird to return as, a sandpiper. I love that you wrote it as a letter to the Earth, the way you describe the shores of Wickaninnish as ‘roiling in winter storm’, and the gorgeous colours.
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a huge influence on me in my teens, I still have a cherished copy, although not the beautiful hardback version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That movie and book set me on my odyssey to the sea, Kim.

      Delete
  7. The secret is to have eyes that see beauty everywhere in the wild world whether it be in the sea, the forest, the rivers or the mountains for there is where our past and future are. Sadly too many greedy people can't see that beauty at all. How beautiful all your poetry is Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope I'm the lucky wanderer who finds that seashell you drop deep in the forest. I would feel blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has so much gentle wonder, feeling both youthful and ancient, new and endless. I really love these sweet and magic-filled words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mind-blowingly beautiful composition Sherry.
    The entire poem reminds me of my favorite Whitman work, which concludes:

    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
    Missing me one place search another,
    I stop somewhere waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find those lines very moving, Ron. Wow. Made me think of my wolf-Pup.

      Delete
  11. A glorious representation of your beautiful heart and love for nature Sherry! I am certain you shall return as a beautiful bird. I do love Jonothon I remember reading the story when I was 12 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, even return as the rain.
    this poem is so beautiful, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no doubt that you’ll be back in one or all of these forms. The earth knows your heart!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Livingston? Love the closing stanza. Makes a mental list. The apple blossoms got to me and made me feel sentimental.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this hope of returning, and also knowing well that nature will be able to stand tall against the onslaught of human greed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful imagery, Sherry. And so clear how threaded into this landscape is your soul. You are one. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Keep working on love." I love that line from Jonathan. I think you will always return to the place that you love and find joy in. This is such a beautiful poem, just beautiful. I think your spirit will always return. I love that you may drop a shell into the middle of the forest for someone to find and ponder over. This is my most favorite poem. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, thank you so much. Thank you to all of you, your comments make me happy.

      Delete
  18. This is beyond beautiful, Sherry!!❤️ I love; "How could my spirit not return to the forests and rivers and ocean I love, to catch my breath once more as the morning mist drapes itself companionably across Lone Cone, to behold again her slopes turning deepest rose in late afternoon?" Wowww!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always a joy to read your work, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is as beautiful as the scenes contained within and it sparks the idea that the world is acting upon us, upon the erstwhile observers and conjuring us to return.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely relish this! How wonderful to have found your spiritual home whilst still alive! And may you indeed return in spirit too. A very beautiful poem, Sherry. (And thank you for at last clueing me in to the meaning of the name the TV Cartwrights gave their ranch, lol. I guess they had those pines growing.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful Sherry, I do believe you will return. Never gone just transformed. I think you might leave a feather quill for those below a symbol of love.

    I think I will return as a red-tailed hawk. Using my perception to help those who remain behind. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful evocative images that cascade to an awesome close.


    "and you'll find me,
    never farther away than
    the nearest beautiful thing."

    ~ sigh ~ just beautiful, Sherry. For me, an indelible line of poetry. I have a feeling I'm going to carry those words with me for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful - just beautiful and love the Jonathan seagull reference..one of my favourite books as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nature is wonderful, what would have humans done without the presence of nature. You have crafted the poem gorgeously.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.