Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Hungry Dreams



1.
We gather round the table
to eat our rice and beans
while, in their caves, the wild brown bears
dream their hungry dreams.

The salmon all did not come home.
There's naught for bears and whales
and, all this winter, I am sure
we'll hear their hungry wails.

Some eat too much; others have none,
depending where you live.
But there's enough for every child
if richer countries give.

Mother Nature shakes her head,
sending typhoons and gales.
When will humans ever learn
survival's not for sale?

           *****



2.
My mother cooked everything
on the same black skillet for years.
It grew crusty, greasy and lumpy,
but in that pan she cooked up wonders:
French toast for my sister and me,
sometimes a steak for my father.
Bits of black sometimes
would be among the eggs;
we picked them out.

I remember that frypan
in the small hovel where we lived
the summer my father died:
food cooked on the oilstove
which was also our source of heat,
the silent meals around the table,
never being allowed
to speak the unspeakable,
the fights and beatings
that went on at night,
as I lay shivering in bed,
dreaming of peace.

I remember my mother, that summer,
never smiling, and then, her heartbreak
after my father died.
She took his fedora, clutched it to her chest,
and walked up and down the creek,
wailing.
She loved him.

Now I live alone in small rooms,
eating my rice and beans
in a peace that wraps around me,
like a cloak of Enough,
colouring all my memories
with gratitude and love
for the journey made.



For Susan's prompt at Midweek Motiff: The Food We Eat

The hungry bears are on my mind, as they enter winter without any fat on their bodies. And that black skillet brought back memories, too.


12 comments:

  1. Here is another kind of journey as you link past and present, near and far. I see the fry pan and the loss of partner as parallel to the bear and the salmon. The waling echoes. In my mind, I added a part 4--you alone, me alone, so many of us in safe little spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That closing stanza gives me chills and draws tears. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were right, Susan. That is exactly what was needed. I am glad it resonated with the second person commenting. Likely yours is also a journey to find peace. Actually, I think that is everyone's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad. I volunteer at a soup kitchen. I see so much hunger. I get angry at people who can afford to eat special foods, special diets and they don't share a dime. I feel bad for the hungry bears as well. Hunger makes me angry and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry,

    A journey of your life and how occasions involving food, involvded so many other emotions.
    I have memories like this too..Christmas meals spoiled by my father's moods..
    I love your expression of having 'a cloak of Enough.'...
    your photo of the poor bear, is becoming a frequent sight. both polar and brown bears suffering without access to food, mostly due to climate changes and the resultant problems with finding anything to eat..what a sad world..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well told recollection. You da man, Skylady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your poems are so heartfelt. They come from within your soul. I feel the hungry bears and the other animals searching for a bit of food to fill their bellies. The grief is real.

    I love the way you write Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn't waste much in our days of old did we. Everything was mended, even crockery sometimes. As for boys shoes you only got a new pair when they didn't fit as Dad resoled them to last as long as possible. I think we all were probably happier then too with less stuff and the outdoors to play in, down the creek or in the woods. I'm getting nostalgic I want to go back! What great poems these are Sherry, sad but so significant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such powerful and heart braking to hear the wails and YES there don't need to be any hunger in the world There is enough to go around but some take it all.
    I love the beautiful sentiments of the rice and the beans how it can become a ritual in life. I still make my mothers potato salads which remind me of home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vividly and beautifully told. Sad to see that skinny bear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poems speak of journeys of life's dark hours so deeply and beautifully. Love the peaceful & restful close so full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a powerful story - I am glad you have found your own warmth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.