Saturday, June 22, 2019

A Wonderful Adventure


Heading Out

Tofino is very good to its seniors. We live in a village that is incredibly rich culturally, full of artists, writers, carvers, sculptors, and poets; the villagers support and appreciate the arts to a degree I have not experienced anywhere else. Not to mention the spectacular scenery, which inspires us all. Yesterday some of us seniors boarded the Browning Passage vessel and headed out to Freedom Cove, an off-grid floating paradise where, for 25 years, artists Catherine and Wayne Adams have lived, created art, and developed a floating paradise of gardens.



Before we left, this little fellow, a river otter, galloped along the float to wish us bon voyage. Some porpoises appeared along the route, also,  but they dove under before I could capture more than the ripples they left behind.


Arriving


Wayne welcoming us


Catherine and two of the three dogs


Whale ribs 


Burrowbird, inspired by a bird of 
Wayne's homeland, Norway




The floating island runs on solar energy. All materials are salvaged or recycled. Wayne says the floathome came first, then Catherine asked for "Just a small salad garden, honey"!
Things grew, as we can see.


Even apples!


This burl is 600 years old. I love their fire pit.




Wayne has a Man Cave


The stunning art studio


and beautiful art.



One year, 40 eagles arrived to feed on the herring,
and left behind these feathers, 
which became the first mask they made.



There is even a floating "beach", with sand.
Browning Passage boat in background.


Sister Margaret, on the left, is soon turning 100
wonderful years old. She is a trooper
and inspires us all.
Sister Anita is on the right.

Catherine and Wayne's message to the world is
LIVE YOUR DREAM!
They are, and hope others will see
it is possible, and will live their dreams too.

On leaving, we each were invited to choose a candle.
Mine was this wolf. This was the icing on the cake,
                                            and made me so happy.


Altogether, an amazing day.
I came home replete.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this roadmap for a fulfilling life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Sherry. Filled with love and dreams fulfilled.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for sharing the day, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A day full of blessings! Beautiful, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that it was such a lovely and spirited outing :)

    How magnificent and wonderful - and certainly inspiring - a 'labour' of love, to be sure - to choose to work with life, as its available in the offerings. Clearly, this is a work of art, constantly changing, and growing - expanding, contracting - and it's really incredible. I can imagine that all those details, all the bits and pieces that make up the whole component - mind boggling! But deliciously filling and rewarding - and I'm sure it was a true gift to be able to experience this first hand. And clearly, you were in good company - including the natural wildlife :)

    I'm so glad you made it to this excursion - and hope it has filled something in your heart and soul - offering you Light in Peace and Love.

    thanks for sharing Sherry - it's just so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That looks so incredibly cool And it's solar powered too?!? So cool! Looks like a wonderful adventure. It's pretty awesome that the seniors where you live have access to such enriching cultural experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many people here live off-grid. It has always appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...I am so pleased you had such a wonderful day and you live in such an inspiring environment.Creating beauty out of recycling is enriching and exciting.I know a guy who built almost his entire house out of throw away car tyres. Looks absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderland!!! I love it. Thank you so much for sharing this little piece of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a most extraordinary and amazing lifestyle.. I am so envious! Seeing the otter alone would have made my day, but the visit was surely a piece of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness this is an absolute treat!! Thank you soo much for sharing with us, Sherry!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this wonderful day with us Sherry. So much inspiration. I love the mask made from the eagle feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry, I also thank you for sharing your lovely visit. I know you will give that wolf a special place in your home, wolves and wolf dogs have a special place in your heart.
    I am glad you included the 100 year old lady in your report, they are high on my respect list. Mrs. Jim has a 99 year old cousin by marriage. She is a widow, living alone in her home in Baton Rouge. We have plans to visit her soon. My dad lived to 97, but he lived a better life than I have. Doctors and modern medicine have kept me alive but I'm not planning on 100. Near I hope (at least this morning I do).
    Thank you again.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sherry- I am totally enthralled with both your photos and this amazing floating island! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful place you live in... and there seem to be some amazing people there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can so see why you love living there! I too am enthralled by the floating paradise – what an amazing idea, so beautifully realised.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.