Thursday, February 14, 2019

On the Left Side of My Head



On the left side of my head, I turned my cheek.
Trying to kiss my lips, he landed on my ear.

That may have been the clue
we should have heeded.

The justice of the peace proclaimed the words
that turned me from girl to wife.

No skin off his nose; he was grinning,
likely imagining the awkward night to follow.

On the right side of my brain were enchanted
and magical thinking dreams.

On the left side of my life, I paid the price.
Being a wife did not bring a happy life.

My third eye was fixed on escape and liberation,
which finally arrived; o! merciful release!

The next man said "You've not been kissed
for a hundred years."

He said, "You came to me a virgin." It was true.
After that, left and right sides came together.

After that, when cage doors appeared,
I was a bird with eyes completely on the sky.


for Sanaa's challenge at Real Toads: to pen a poem in the style and format of Joseph Legaspi's poem "The Kisser's Handbook". Given my memory bank, this is what popped up. Nevertheless, I have remained a hopeless romantic all my life.



9 comments:

  1. Dear Sherry Happy Valentine's Day...A day made just for you!!! The "hopeless romantic!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it takes some time for the left and right sides to come together after all. There are often many misses along the way but it's wonderful that you got your liberation and experienced something better. Despite the "hopeless romantic" side of you, this poem is brimming with wisdom and understanding that add into the value of its experience. Beautifully done, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sherry this is so heartfelt! That closing line really tugs at my heart as does the whole poem!❤️ Thank you so much for writing to the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This I like, the ending I love. I am happy for you, two ways. First, you didn't suffer a lifetime, second, you weren't swept off your feet easily. Eyes "on the sky" makes it all the better. I lived your poem too, but not the cad who wanted you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Very evocative. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an experience like that, and looking back some part of me knew it was all a huge mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A brilliant poem, Sherry! We are wiser for experience, and then we become poets who turn it all into something better.. art carved from what remains.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.