Sunday, February 17, 2019

Dreaming in Green



I came to ask you
how you have managed 
to endure for millennia,
with humankind
so threatening.
Do you tremble
when you hear
the grapple-yarders
and the saws,
coming ever closer?
(I think you do.)

They rip your roots
out of the ground;
they stick up in the air,
like the wisdom teeth 
of the planet,
being pulled
by madmen
who have forgotten
we all need 
to breathe.

I imagine, much like us,
those peaceful hours when you sleep
are your release.

I imagine, when you dream,
that you still dream in green.




for Magaly's prompt at Real Toads: strange news. The question is do trees sleep at night? I think they do. They are very alive, and must need rest.


14 comments:

  1. I think dreaming in green is a signal of hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dream in green at least. Such a raping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "they stick up in the air,
    like the wisdom teeth
    of the planet"

    Wow, Sherry, I love the dreaming in green. So apt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor trees. When we visit in Louisiana we see a lot of land bared because the trees have all been cut. This is an excellent interview.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, thank you for using the term "grapple yarders." That was a new word for me, I also found (google) that here are a lot of them for sale.
      ..

      Delete
  5. The closing line nearly broke my heart. Sometimes I wonder, if trees begin to weep when the hear the approach of men. Now I'm also wondering if they yearn for deforestation to be just a nightmare trying to steal the green of their lives and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a wonderful poem!!! And yes, I think we all dream in green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those closing lines took my breath away! This is so beautifully poignant, Sherry!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely and sad poem, Sherry. I really enjoyed it though it is certainly very poignant. Hope all is well. k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man and is saw brings such terror to forests. Yes, I do imagine the trees still dream in green.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow! This is so evocative, Sherry. I do hope that the trees still dream in green. 💚

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my younger, more flexible and agile days, I used to go out into the deep woods for weeks on end, let the forest sing me to sleep every night, no human activity or sound anywhere. I miss that; I love my trees. Thanks for this poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.