Sunday, May 31, 2015

Love's Barbs


stock image - alamy.com




I feign would tremble when my skirt gets caught 
on barbs, no nimble fingers exercised by him ,
us both stuck fast, exceedingly o'er-wrought,
and soon the very sun is growing dim.

As I preserve my pallor in the shade,
back to the fumbled barb he goes and goes.
Thank heaven for the coolness of this glade,
for where he stands, his perspiration flows.

An afternoon's dithering I shall retell as lies,
as one who knoweth well the Blarney stone,
while every romantic thought between us dies,
him sweltering under my ever-cooling tone .

Finally he frees the torn and wretched lawn;
bowing stiffly, he could not be more quickly gone. 





LOL. For Bjorn's prompt at Toads: to write Bout-Rimes, with end rhymes of the selected words: caught, him, got, dim, shade, goes, glade, flows, lies, stone, dies, tone, lawn, gone. I actually enjoy writing sonnets, but decided to go with humour this time, after a plodding day at my desk, all glum and serious. I substituted oer-wrought for got, because it just sounded more sonnet-like. The lawn referred to is the material often used in skirts and dresses for M'Lady.


24 comments:

  1. M'Lady, I am much pleased with your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be written by Jane Austin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, hopefully Mr Darcy would be more nimble-fingered.

      Delete
  3. This is such a sparkling sonnet :D
    Enjoyed it to the utmost :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me smile broadly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! A very charming scene, Sherry. I am smiling, thanks! k.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha.. This is a perfect use of the words, it could have been about swooning in love.. But this'd sounds more realistic,

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a situation! A similar event happened to a teacher's skirt, and a rather obnoxious filing cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the sequence of events :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, amusing and clever. I like that it is not a love poem : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful!! You're the most amazing poetess!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I shall retell as lies" :) A really fun read - you obviously had fun with this list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your use of language here, Sherry. It sounds very genteel. Your characterization is so on point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was simply delightful!
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah thanks for the smile.. love the sparkling and humorous tone in this one sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your take on this Sherry and what a classic photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a brilliant interpretation! Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. All apologies for that^^, but you made a great poem of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He, the poor old sot, and you, the poetess!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Comment Section is a test for, at best poetic sensibility, and at worst sensitivity. A mans' work becoming a woman's' tears. Talk about tragedy. Excellent poem!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.