Sunday, August 11, 2024

WHEN YOU LOVE A WILD THING

 


"...you can't give your heart to a wild thing: the more you do, the stronger they get. Until they're strong enough to run into the woods. Or fly into a tree. Then a taller tree. Then the sky. That's how you'll end up, ...[i]f you let yourself love a wild thing. You'll end up looking at the sky."


— Truman Capote (Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories)

When you love a wild thing,
you're rekindling your kinship
with the wild.

Every cell in your body
remembers
when you once ran free
upon the land,
when you lived the Old Ways
we once used to
understand.

Part of you remembers
when you hunted the deer,
and part remembers
when you were
the deer being hunted.
Both sides know fear.

The part of you
that catches your breath,
your heart quickening,
when that old grey whale
turns her ancient eye on you,
is the part that recognizes,
but can't put words to,
the message in her
mournful song,
about this planetary home
where we all
belong.

I gave my heart to a wolf-pup,
his eyes intelligent
and true.
He loved me more
than anyone
I ever knew.

He remained wild,
but left both
wilderness and sea.
In order to be with me
he relinquished
being free.

And when it came
his time to leave,
he tried so hard
to stay.
Since he's been gone,
it's like the wilderness
itself
has gone away.

Now, when I walk,
yes, I'm looking
at the sky.
I'm listening
at each full moon
for his lonely
cry.

I walk the length
of his favorite river
with tears
that we're apart.
But I'm glad
I loved a wild thing,
because he
fortified
my heart.

I'm linking this one for my prompt at What's Going On on Wednesday - It's Raining Cats and Dogs. I am looking forward to meeting some furry creatures this week! It will be fun! Come join us!

12 comments:

  1. "Since he's been gone,
    it's like the wilderness
    itself
    has gone away." Sigh. What a powerful poem. Your last few lines say it all, how we fortify ourselves--they fortify us--when we love and are loved by a wild thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to love about a wild thing. They have a way of capturing pieces of our heart. Pup loved with an unconditional heart. I think your poem captures that mutual love. The wondrous connection with the wild things that embrace our world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He remained wild,
    but left both
    wilderness and sea.
    In order to be with me
    he relinquished
    being free."
    Such a joy to be with a soul like this, Sherry! It's heartbreaking to read the stanza in the past tense. Love all your Pup poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lyricism of this wonderful poem Sherry - it concludes especially beautifully - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. That will become my motto, Sherry;
    ‘When you love a wild thing,
    you're rekindling your kinship
    with the wild’.
    Your love of your wildlife shines through every line. While whales are not furry friends, I especially love:
    ‘when that old grey whale
    turns her ancient eye on you,
    is the part that recognizes,
    but can't put words to,
    the message in her
    mournful song’.
    I also love the emotional lines about your wolf-pup, which made me tearful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, friends. I still cant read a poem I wrote for him without tears - even thirteen years later. I still miss him. Always will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sherry. This is so you. Love the interplay with kindling and kinship, and for me kind is there also.
    And also the longing for the ancient ways, for the truth that lies underneath the meaning we create and impose.
    And what we give up for another, be it pet or person.
    Just a great poem sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, truly, madly, deeply. One of your best!! I love it, and I love Pup, too!! annell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pup was a miracle for you, and you for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a hell yeah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only just imagine the power of the feeling that he has left in you - since I, as a mere reader feel his pull... still

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.