Friday, August 2, 2024

Being Here Now



How is it that I walk down the street
noticing my sore knees, stiff legs,
aching back - watching my feet
and not the cloud-dotted sky,
the robin on the lawn, the sudden run
of a chipmunk into the bushes?

Lift up your eyes, I tell myself.
There is a sky-show going on
that you are missing.

How is it that I eat mindlessly,
barely tasting the food, so that
hunger is never satisfied?

Slow down, a voice within me says.
Be here now. Notice everything.
It is a world of wonders.

The old black dog with grizzled snout
and wolfy ears knows this very well
without words. He stretches out 
on the grass in the shade, gives 
a contented sigh, enjoys the play of the breeze
on his long whitened nose -
everything is perfect.
Everything in this moment
is just as good as it can be.
He wants nothing more -
except, maybe, a juicy bone
when he gets home.

2 comments:

  1. Being here now, your wolfy friend understood the beauty of now. We humans sometimes lose focus of the "now". I often have to remind myself of the beauty that surrounds me. There is wisdom in your words to look up and slow down.

    Enjoy, your weekend and look with eyes of wonder, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, lift your eyes. Slow down. Enjoy each moment and all of its beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.