Tuesday, May 21, 2024

There Are Things My Heart Wants to Say

Kʷiisaḥiʔis

There are things my heart wants to say,
but I can't find the words -
or I have already written them
way too many times.

The world has lost its balance and perspective,
if it ever had it. People are setting aside morals
and kindness in favour of hatred and division.
Can someone make the orange man stop talking?
Can someone explain to his cult that they are
woefully mistaken in following and revering him?

Somewhere a small brave orphaned whale calf
is swimming the big sea alone, in search of her pod.
Or, she may no longer be swimming at all,
after so long without family and food.
My heart fastens on this small grief
in order to bear the unembraceable sorrow
that the planet I love is dying.

I want to say have hope but my own hope is fading.
I want to say we can change but the change I see
is so distressing I can't find the words.

My heart rides ocean waves with a small whale
looking for her pod. If she finds it, that will be
miracle enough for me.

In late March, Kʷiisaḥiʔis  (Kwee-sah-hayis), Brave Little Hunter, was orphaned when her mother beached and then drowned when the tides rushed in. For too long, the baby circled the lagoon, calling for her mother. Finally, in late April, First Nations assisted her to exit the narrow passage and she swam free.

Now word has come that her pod is in the area where she was last seen. But she has not been sighted in ten days. I am praying for reunion, but also recognize that she has been far too long without food. It all has taken too long. It breaks my heart.


4 comments:

  1. This is so heartbreaking, Sherry. I will hope along with you that there will be a miracle, and the Brave Little Hunter will still be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need to keep hoping and praying for her safety ..... as far as our world goes, I am tuning in to fewer and fewer newscasts ... listening to more and more music. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not what you want to hear, but a critical mass of Americans think the hatred & division are aimed at their beloved orange man.

    I don't like him, but the "Never mind how unworkable these ideas are, or how badly the Biden administration's gone--the main thing is to HAAAATE TRUUUUMP!" shows me that there are tackier idea than his, tackier people than he, in this world.

    As an alternative? Well, the Ds already have RFK--or would, if they'd seek reconciliation with him. He respects his conservative friends but he is not and will never be a Republican. He's stepped away from the old Left-Right split and taken a stand on issues the people actually care about--not just back and forth over Marx, guns, or abortion. I don't know whether he'll win. I don't know how long he'll live, win or lose. But he has much to teach the Ds. Why try to turn people against their neighbor when the people are aware that they have a common enemy?

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  4. heartbreaking, yet someone has to say it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.