Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Mandarin Moon

 



I awake in the deep dark
of the night to see
a huge round full-faced moon
staring in at me,
as if it had zoomed close
with my eyes closed,
I catching it unawares
before it rose.

There she sat,
perched in the bowl
of my old tree,
like an over-sized Christmas ornament
thus adorning just for me
the starkly bare
and brittle branches and, much more,
allowing me to see its beauty
closer
than I ever have
before.

I stare back:
eternal purveyor
of myth and mystery,
as if it holds the secret
of whatever is to be
and has ventured thus
to urge me forth
from out my purple bed,
to find a path
where all my dreams
can be
much better fed.

This radiant so-close moon
and I agree:
surrender to no man,
and yet in giving
I'm most free.
This silvery ambassador
is urging me to find a way
to give all that I can -
Mandarin Midnight Moon
that sailed here
last night
from Japan.


14 comments:

  1. Ah, the silvery ambassador has wise thoughts, Sherry. As do you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great and so powerful, full of images and life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There she sat,
    perched in the bowl
    of my old tree,".....Aw...to me the moon looks the wise old owl we knew in our nursery rhymes. Love this radiant, silvery ambassador and his words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous fruity moon poem, Sherry! I love the image of the moon perched in the bowl of the old tree ‘like an over-sized Christmas ornament’ and the sound of ‘starkly bare and brittle branches’. Who could resist the mysterious moon – especially a ‘Mandarin Midnight Moon that sailed here last night from Japan’?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry
    I loved exploring your Mandarin Midnight Mooin. I was really looking at that moon through the bowl of branches as described.
    Staring into such a majestic sight, is indeed a time for reflective thoughts. It is a night visitor, like no other.
    Loved your beautifully explored moon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so so gorgeous, Sherry. LOVE:
    There she sat,
    perched in the bowl
    of my old tree

    I want to eat her with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. The last full moon was so big and bright. Your poem really speaks to the power of it. Suzanne - Wordpress blog - Wayfaring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I stare back:
    eternal purveyor
    of myth and mystery . . . "
    I had to laugh when it is also a Christmas ornament just for you! But it's part of the moon's mystery that it chooses one of us to revel itself to. Gorgeous poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The relationship with this "silvery ambassador" is full of wonder, mystery, light, a shared wisdom, and affection. I enjoyed your brilliant use of personification, Sherry, to help us see the moon through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. “…a path
    where all my dreams
    can be
    much better fed.”

    Always the promise of the moon. Wonderful piece Sherry. 🙂✌🏼🫶🏼

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved the midnight mandarin moon....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many lines to love about this poem. May that mandarin moon always guide and speak to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am swooning over the last four lines. ♡ I also love "in giving, I'm most free." Also, I would love to see your purple bed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun well paced narrative. I'm glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.