Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Nature's Child

 


I walk through the doorway of the morning:
grey sky, a cool breeze, a new day
beginning.

I am remembering how hot summer was
when I was young, how, when I hiked in the hills,
the ground was soft with fallen pine needles,
springy under my feet.

The trees smelled almost burnt in the heat.
The scent of sage and ponderosa pine
- the smell of home - was all around,
and I would drink from the long wooden trestles
that carried water downhill to the vineyards below.

I never encountered a rattlesnake,
but a herd of grazing cows 
once followed me, as I walked downhill,
singing.

I was always nature's child.



1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt, Sherry, that you were always nature's child. I smiled about you once being followed by a herd of cows!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.