Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Sometimes

 


Sometimes,
when people are fractious,
and disgruntled, but thinking I am the problem,
I like to remember the small blessings:

a cup of tea in the morning
in my favourite Dog Lover mug;
the fact that, if I give it time,
my head will eventually recover
from the trauma of awakening, and will
adjust to being upright;
that, after a shower, (a shower! such a blessing,
when so many have no water at all),
there is an hour-long window
when I can either go out
or get something done
before I have to lie down.

These small blessings make
the big blessing possible:
that I am still here, in my sweet cozy rooms,
still alive, in this place that is
so beautiful to me,  so necessary to my soul;
that however slowed down
I am, and silent, and disheartened
with  how the world  is conducting itself,
I am still alive to witness blue skies,
that sky I have loved all my life,
and those endless, eternal waves,
rolling in and out. That, no matter 
how difficult people are being
all over the planet,
in response to the trauma of our times,
there is still goodness, everywhere,
beauty, everywhere.
That there is still a planet we can save,
if we all wake up together and hear
what Mother Earth is telling us
in all her many voices.


Sigh. Sometimes I get disheartened. But I remember that Mother Earth, while desperately distressed, is still trying so hard to live and she needs our help.

Wildfires are burning in Canada. One community of 5000 has been evacuated. It is only May. I don't hear the government talking about lowering emissions, which should be the first priority. The news is distracted by someone south of the border who is totally unfit for office, yet is taking up all the air waves. When will we emerge from this coma and move into doing the work that so urgently needs to be done?


2 comments:

  1. Yes, we have to remember those small blessings that make life worth while...despite the dissension that occurs so many places with so many people in our world! Despite all, there is beauty to be appreciated everywhere. Wise words, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cosy place a hot shower running water and a cup of tea are all happiness things....and aren't you blessed to even appreciate these simple gifts and derive such joy from them ! This means you're a winner...most people need to climb Mount Everest (preferably backwards) to experience this type of elation:)... Rall

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.